TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Did he violate the rules?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did he violate the rules? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They have remanded the case to the court of appeals to consider a State's cross-point challenging the judge's refusal to charge the jury on the .08 manner and means of committing DWI because the State did not proffer extrapolation testimony.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that's anti-climactic.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the ins and outs of ineffective claims, but the defense attorney's lack of participation was clearly a strategy--but more for appeal than trial. I think it's a stretch to say repeating to a jury you're not prepared is a sympathy ploy. Doesn't the long-term appeal strategy apply to show that he was purposefully acting in that way? The guy blew above an .08 so he clearly didn't have much chance unless he found some expert who would work for free to say bouncing your face on air bags affects intoxilyzer results. Seems not only strategic, but his only hope and it sounds like it took A LOT of effort on his part to keep it up. How many trial attorneys by the second day would not just give in and at least cross examine someone??? Or make a closing statement??? Very strategic and difficult, in my opinion.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suzannejost:
The guy blew above an .08 so he clearly didn't have much chance unless he found some expert who would work for free to say bouncing your face on air bags affects intoxilyzer results.

As an added amusement, the State's cross-appeal was because the trial court denied the .08 instruction.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post