TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Advice for a law student??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for a law student?? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I am a 3rd year law student trying to find a job as a prosecutor in Texas. I will be taking the bar in July. I have done well in school, and my resume is very tailored toward a career in criminal law. My difficulties lie as follows. I am having trouble getting into the field, I think partly because I attend school at the Univ. of Florida. My questions are these:

1. Do any DA offices hire now and �hold a job� for you when you graduate (like larger firms do)?
2. What is the best way to get into the field?

If anyone would like to talk with me about this, fell free to email me.

Any Advice??

Thanks in advance,

Hunter
hab145@aol.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Collin County | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most DA's offices don't have the resources to hire unlicensed folks. I think Harris County (that's Houston) does some on campus interviewing, and therefore presumably hires prior to licensing. Dallas County doesn't do on-campus stuff, but they hire a few prior to licensing. These offices also have unpaid intern programs, where they presumably find plenty of recruits after licensing. The ones that are hired prior to licensing get temporary bar cards, but flunk the test and you probably have no job.

A lot of places will interview you prior to licensing. Somewhere on this site you can probably order the book that has address and contact info for all the DA's offices in Texas.

So, if this is where you want to live, move here after graduation, Take BarBri, send out some resumes, and good luck to you.

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think it would be hard to get a job in Texas with a DA's office until you have a Texas bar card.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me at 512-474-2436, and fax your resume to 512-478-4112. We get resumes all the time and help folks plan out how they can break into a Texas prosecutor's office. No guarantees, but let's talk it over.

Rob Kepple

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry for the delay....but FYI - Harris County (Houston) does hire what we call "pre-commits". 3rd year students are interviewed and about 8 are selected to begin working just after taking the bar (as an intern) and are guaranteed a permanent position upon passing the bar....
but no pass, no job.
The problem is that this process started months ago for next summer's pre-commits. The only other option here is to apply once licensed. Although you can send in your application and resume starting the day after you take the bar. But won't be considered until you pass. (FYI...this is how most of our assistants are hired)
As I understand it, we may be the only office that does this.

Posts: 15 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that have written and helped me with this.

Unfortunately for me, it seems that the more people I talk to, the more I realize that I will simply have to wait until taking the bar to being to get a true chance at a job with a Texas DA�s office. It is just disappointing to know exactly what career I want to go into, yet not have a real chance to secure a job before graduating. Especially when I know I could find a job in another field.

If anyone else is willing to talk with me, or knows anyone that might be able to help, please feel free to email me. . . If not, I�ll be contacting many of you in JULY!

Thanks again,

Hunter
hab145@aol.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Collin County | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our office have had a number of people who spent the four months waiting for bar results interning with our office. Some did a very good job and were offered positions upon passing the bar. Of course with smaller offices this is always contingent on having an opening at the right time. We have also been very sucessful getting our interns placed with other offices if we did not have a position to offer. If you sincerely wish to be a prosecutor I suggest you contact a local office and volunteer some time. Put some sweat equity in your future.

Posts: 17 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: April 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post