TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Punishment hearing in JP court?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Punishment hearing in JP court? Login/Join 
posted
I know there should be an easy answer to these questions, so I apologize in advance.

1) Is there a separate punishment hearing in JP court?

2) If not, does the jury get to decide the punishment at all?

3) Finally, can a JP place a person on probation (not deferred, mind you) after a jury has found that person guilty?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See CCP Art. 37.07 Sec. 2. There is no separate hearing on punishment. It is assessed by the jury in a jury trial

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I didn't think there was, but it's nice to be able to point to some authority.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Sean Johnson>
posted
I'm pretty sure the jury doesn't asses punishment in justice courts. CCP art. 45.036 basically says the jury brings the verdict into the court and then once the justice or judge checks if the verdict is proper, they shall render the proper judgment and sentence on the verdict. So, it's up to the judge what the punishment is going to be in the first place. Secondly, CCP art. 45.051 leaves it up to the judge whether the defendant gets deferred adjudication and what the conditions during the deferral period are.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool. thanks for the insight. i really appreciate it. you are both awesome!

[This message was edited by David Newell on 04-10-07 at .]

posted Hide Post
Sean, I respetfully disagree. Under 45.036 the judge simply renders the judgment and sentence based on the verdict of the jury as a ministerial act. The language of CCP Art. 37.07 Sec. 2(a) spells out that there is no bifurcated trial in a Class C case if the defendant has a jury trial.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post