TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Strange Lessers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Lessers Login/Join 
posted
Every now and then we get judgments from other jurisdictions showing convictions for some very interesting offenses. I recently saw one from a county just south of us and I am trying to imagine a fact pattern that might fit this crime...

Attempted Failure to Register as a Sex Offender

I tried to not register but failed...

Did the guy plan to secretly move in the middle of the night, pack all his belongings in the U-Haul truck, only to be arrested as he pulled out of his driveway?

Posts: 11 | Location: Williamson County, Texas | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you attempt (an overt act) to NOT do something (an omission)?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess one scenario for Attempted Failure to Register would be the bad guy goes in to register and pays the publication / notice fee with a check he knows is bad, but then his bank cashes the check anyway?! So he tried to fail to register. Absurd. Plus, how would you show "an act that tends, but fails to accomplish the omission of an act"? I'm guessing the "attempt" was part of a creative plea to change the range of punishment.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Creativity reigns supreme in the plea barganing process. I hope, just once beofre I retire, I can plead someone to illegal recruitment of an athelete. Preferably a TAMU alum.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post