TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    21.12 and Student Teachers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

21.12 and Student Teachers Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone think that student teachers, who are not employed by the school, but are enrolled at local colleges fulfilling certification requirements, are possibly covered under 21.12? Confused

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But 90% (or more) would be subject to 21.11 and 22.011.

Of course, you could make an argument that the student teacher was a constructive employee. But I wouldn't want to bet on that flying.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at Hopkins v. Spring ISD, 736 SW2d 617.

If the student teacher is protected (tort immunity) under the Education Code, just like a paid teacher, maybe he/she would be liable under the Penal Code (just like a paid teacher).

Posts: 50 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to go by the literal wording of the statute. Smile

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Al, I have tried 2 coaches already under this section and I shudder to think that it may be unconstitutional because its too broad. The last case involved a janitor who pled without a trial. I have no desire to rock the boat becuse this is a good statute but we need to figure out if there should be more restrictions in the definitions.Full time Janitors defintely fit but I am not sure I would stretch it with part timers. Someone big and smart run with it!

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post