TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Unlawful Carry by intoxicated License Holder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unlawful Carry by intoxicated License Holder Login/Join 
posted
If a defendant has his or her LTC, and is driving while intoxicated, and has a handgun located under the driver's seat, does 46.035(d) apply?

Subsection (d) makes it an offense for the license holder to carry a handgun while intoxicated, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or open in a holster.

The biggest question that I have is, what does it mean to *carry*? The other subsections of 46.035 seem to state "on or about their person", however, that particular language does not appear in (d). I've checked the Penal Code and Government Code 411 for some guidance on what it means to "carry", but I'm coming up empty.

The concern is charging a crime, if the statute only intended for this to apply when the handgun is actually on the person--concealed, belt holstered, or shoulder holstered. I am not convinced that handguns "about" the person qualify.

Any sort of guidance or reference that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might want to check 46.02(a-1)(2)(A). Both that and 46.035 are class A misdemeanors, but that section of 46.02 more clearly applies to carrying the weapon anywhere in the vehicle.

Posts: 7 | Location: Milam County | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post