TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Corroboration, Cowobboration
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corroboration, Cowobboration Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Shannon, first of all, give yourself a TDCAA hat for that one. Secondly, did the defendant have one of those "I Brake for ________" bumper stickers? And if so, what would go in the blank?

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about when those assault defendants grab the victims' throat and chock them?

Posts: 95 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: September 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but as a former pilot, I know that a chock is a piece of wood used to brace aircraft tires. (Usually a substantial piece of wood.) So, I just figure they got 'em by the throat and are applying the "chock" about the victim's person.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In following Shannon Edmonds' attempt to keep this thread alive, I have to share the strangest writ application of my career.

The defendant, Bruce Albert Kirk, claimed in his writ application that the trial court had "arbitrarily re-named" him without his consent to "William T. Kirk." He reasoned that since his cases styled William T. Kirk v. The State of Texas had been reversed due to insufficent evidence, presumably due to his status as a citizen of the United Federation of Planets and not of the great State of Texas, he was being illegally confined under his true name, Bruce. His claim was completely without factual support and was denied; however, I'm sure the significance of the name change will not be lost to all those Trekkies out there.

As an aside, how many of you got the Trivial Pursuit question right about what the "T" stands for in Captain Kirk's name?...right!...Tiberius.

But in any event, "Live long and prosper William T. Kirk a/k/a Bruce Albert Kirk!"

Posts: 4 | Location: Weatherford, Texas, USA | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a municipal court clerk that ask the difference between a plea of guilty and a plea of "no mo'". Please, I just want it to stop. "Nolo Contendere", French for "I give up". (or is that redundant)

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With respect Jane S, venerable originator of this thread, I say the most mispronounced term of art amoong lawyers is "absentia." Again today a lawyer suggested to me that the D could be paroled in absTENTia. When will it end, Oh Lord?

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 11-03-03 at .]

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When will it end? You mean the butchering of the English language, or this thread? This one was just too good to pass up, though: I just saw a defendant's mother testify in his trial. The defense attorney asked her name. She gave her current married name, then asked, "Would you like my MATING NAME, too?" (Apparently, her "mating name" being the name she held before she was married??) She then said that the defendant and his ex-wife had engaged over the years in "one upsomeship." The court reporter said, "What?" and mom repeated, "One upsomeship."

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did this "one upsomeship" occur while they were on a cruise?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The D demanded sex from his wife after a day of drinking and cocaine ingestion. The police report recites that after the non-consensual act, the D "dosed" off.

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 10-17-03 at .]

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We now need Diane to run up a list of convictions involving "mortal turpitude." I guess those are the sorts of things that win you a Darwin award, too.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
... but I still have a few good ones left, including this example of creative report writing by an officer who noticed a parked truck matching the description of one listed as being stolen and tried to investigate further:

"Due to the large amount of bird fecal matter that was virtually covering the vehicle, it seemed unlikely that a square inch of printable surface space existed on the truck. In addition to that, the birds that had initially delivered the ordinance were still quite present and very active and in a position of tactical superiority that made close inspection of the vehicle very hazardous ..."

Posts: 2423 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
On a Wood County offense report, a deputy needed to look down a well, so he used a "down hole illumination device." It only took us a few minutes to figure out he meant a flashlight. This same deputy was also fond of "alight[ing]from [his] patrol unit."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a recent offense report of a burglary. "Once power was restored to the business, I had Ms. X reenter the building... and attempt to tell me if any VISIBLE items had been STOLEN."

Posts: 53 | Location: Fort Stockton, Texas USA | Registered: April 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried to keep from posting anything in this thread (even though I have enjoyed reading it), but I have to do it. I was reading a confession yesterday from a guy who was exposing himself to women. He admitted that he was, "MASTER BAITING" in front of them. Unless he is an accomplished fisherman, I think the jury will get the idea.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brownsville, Tx, USA | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else cringe when they get a case file with an entry in the offense report like this ...

"I have been advised that UUMV will not be filed in this case due to the fact that the case stinks and does not meet UUMV requirements. (The victim's story is not believable at this time.)"

That needs to be a classic example of "how not to" in someone's next report-writing class!

Posts: 2423 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a case report on a burglary of a building: "items were inside his tool shed, which was secured by a paddle lock."

(BTW fishing rods were among the items taken.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This comes from a Potter County DPS report on a traffic stop where dope was found in the vehicle:

"At 2:21 p.m there were clear skies with a strong breeze blowing northeast at twenty-five miles per hour. I could see the large branches on the trees in motion. You could her whistling in the telegraph wires [evidently telephones have yet to reach Potter County]. Air temperature was at sixty-seven degrees and the dew point was at forty degrees."

Ten single spaced pages later--when he takes the person into custody:

"Acting in an objectively good faith manner and relying upon the outstanding warrant issued by a neutral magistrate based on probable cause, I informed [the Defendant] of the outstanding warrant and placed her under arrest."

Guessing either new trooper or someone who went back to school and just finished their masters in english.

[This message was edited by Robert S. DuBoise on 10-31-03 at .]

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A reference to the new heart "difibubalator" we have in the lobby of our courthouse reminded me of this thread.

Posts: 18 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a Pro-se plaintiff in a Civil hearing in my court yesterday, explaining why he was Pro-se: "My previous lawyer refused himself from my case and is not representing me anymore."

Refusal, recusal.

Posts: 11 | Location: Longview, Texas USA | Registered: March 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this string has been revived, I just read this in a transcript of a misdemeanor DWI trial:

THE BAILIFF: All right. This court is now in session.

My guess is the bailiff was upset about a delay? Or, maybe just eager to get to work. Confused

[This message was edited by Gordon LeMaire on 03-03-04 at .]