TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Corroboration, Cowobboration
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corroboration, Cowobboration Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
May we take a break for some mispronunciations that are not strictly terms of art? "Supposably" and "supposively" will be the death of me one day. I find myself retorting with a very careful and over-enunciated "SUPPOSEDLY" in every conversation where these two rear their ugly heads; alas, to no avail. (apologies to Dan Bradley who alluded to this one in the third post) Throw in the lawyer who uses the crutch-phrase "in terns of..." and you have the complete package. Eek Plus, I just had to see this thread stretch to five pages!

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had someone in my office just yesterday who kept saying, "supposably." But she was a witness, so I didn't feel I could correct her. Did anyone see the multitudes of people on TV lately, talking about the Tulia case, who said, "cowwoborate"??? Given, lots of the people worked for the ACLU. . .

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so this probably won't be the last post in the thread, but maybe it will sum up the original intent.

Foreign language student to his professor:

"I don't know what you think about my pronounciation, but I think it's pretty good."

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See, I knew this string would stretch at least five pages, but that is because I have an advantage. I work with a person who has, "ESPN" and if you have any DNA related questions, that same person supposedly, I had to use that word, works in the DNA office. I like to tell people I have ESPN2, but my reception is not always so great. Big Grin

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this thread is now an actual, living, breathing creature. It seems to have supernatural qualities. It can not die.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a DWI write-up that referred to the accused's vehicle being driven in "an erotic manner." And, yes, he did blow over.

Posts: 5 | Location: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just heard this one on a "live" news report involving an accident with illegal immigrants in a pickup. "The truck would not stop the vehicle."

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pill was located between the two front seats of the vehicle inside the counsel.

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, Texas (Travis County) | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A complete copy of the defendant's criminal historicity is attached to this report." Confused

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Laura Coats, whose office is next door to mine in Dallas:

"And at that time we called the paramedics to come over and they did some kind of pneumonia thing on him . . .They pulled out some kind of little white thing, broke it open. Started waving it on his face. He came out of whatever it was he was doing. They came over to me and told me that he wasn't having a seizure."

Good thing paramedics carry pneumonia ampules to take care of malingering defendants.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there was the visiting judge we had two years ago...less than one hundred years old, but more than 70, not that that has anything to do with it...he was talking about a lawyer he had just had some problems with down in that large city with the orange juice ball field. Being compassionate and respectful of the other guy, his honor said that the fellow was a real
"a. o.". Took us both a minute to realize that maybe syllable number two might have begun with a different letter.

And I'm not just trying for 6 pages, either. Well, maybe a little.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a local defense lawyer (now under indictment for felony-level hot checks) once ask for a continuance, due to the "funeralization" of his client's relative.

I also love it when people talk about folks being tried/convicted "IN ABSTENTIA". I heard this several times from supposedly intelligent reporters about that rape fugitive caught in Mexico.

Then there's the cops who constantly say "sale" for "sell" and type it too! Sale is a noun, sell is a verb, people!

Also got a lot of cops who pronounce "reagent", as in reagent field test kit as "regent".

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received a stack of "character reference" letters addressed to:

The Districattorney and/or the Ass. Districattorney

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The suspect refused to advise if he had been shot so this Officer requested the two medical personnel to medically asset the suspect's gun shot wound and or other injuries.

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, Texas (Travis County) | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our First Asst. DA recently received from Rockdale, Texas, a document (I believe it was a clerk's certification) which referred to "the Rockdale Police" as--I swear I'm not making this up--"the RECTAL Police."

Wow, and I thought a family violence task force was as specialized as a police unit could get. Big Grin

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I guess those guys are out of a job now that the Supreme Court has overturned the anti-sodomy law ... Big Grin

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot specifically about the pronunciation of the word "specific". I know a lot of folks, who pronounce it "pacific".

I also failed to note that I've noticed that a lot of folks in West Texas drop the "s" in some plurals:

test - tests - pronounced "test"
risk - risks - pronounced "risk"
desk - desks - pronounced "desk"

Seems to have something to do with final "st" & final "sk".

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey I am a user of the old, "I'm a nah" sp? for "I am going to..." I am much more conscious of it now after one of our District Judges in court one day asked the Court Reporter, "Miss ______, how do you spell, I'm a nah"? I am now usually quite careful during pleas to say, "Mr. Defendant, I am going to show you ....." I am sure that I do not mispronounce any other words or phrases, as I have no accent whatever having been as my cousin used to say "borned and reared" in that great bastion of language arts known as Houston. We also, at least my Mom does,another native Houstonian, pronounce the word corner like "cawner" and order like "awder", you get the drift.

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I came in contact with the passenger, I recognized him as the male subject who had fled from this officer on 06-12-2003...I then placed him in handcuffs while he was still in the vehicle, to elevate the possibility of another foot pursuit.

Posts: 12 | Location: Galveston, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On May 14, 2003, at approximately 11:55 a.m. this investigator received a phone call from an unnamed person that has provided reliable and creditable information in the past.

Ok, maybe they are worthy of praise, but is the information trustworthy?