TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Corroboration, Cowobboration
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corroboration, Cowobboration Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
(I don't have anything entertaining to add, I just wanted to celebrate being the 100th post on this thread ... ) Razz

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then there could be a whole chapter on things our president has said. A recent example of "Bushspeak:" Bush's 4th of July speech to the troops commenting on all the the "exceptionable" young men and women in the service of our country.

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you start making fun of my beloved W you've stopped preaching and done gone to meddling!

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite quotes when I worked at a court of appeals was a quote from a defense lawyer who was a witness at a motion for new trial in a murder case. The questioning attorney (must have been the appellate defense attorney) was asking about interviewing victims and asked something like, "Aren't most victims in murder cases dead?" and the defense lawyer answered, "Usually. All of mine have been."

Posts: 13 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one's hot off the press from one of our offense reports: "The complainant advised that the defendant...knocked the cell phone out of his hand hurting his ARMY and that he made threatening JESTERS toward him." I swear I'm not making this up!!! Guess I never thought of jesters as being particularly threatening but you never know, do you.

Now the gripe. In the same report the investigating officer repeatedly, and annoyingly persists in referring to himself as "this deputy" and "this officer." I see this in offense reports all the time. Does it say in some police training manual that "Thou shalt never refer to one's self as "I" or "me?" I had legal writing professors in law school who religiously preached against "legalize." Can't someone launch a similar crusade against "police speak?" Mad

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have so enthusiastically embraced this topic and pushed it onto the 6th page! And Shannon, if you didn't do enough with saving our longevity pay, you were the 100th customer at this string! Please stay on the line to collect your prize.

Re: Trey Hill's gripe that Some People (meaning defense attorneys, police officers?) under-plularize, I had a trial with an attorney who OVER-plularlized words. "Breakfasts" was pronounced as "brek-fuss-iz." "Sandwiches" was was also pronounced, "samm-itch-izz." (It was a trial about starving a child, so food was an issue.) So my co-counsel and I went to dinner after a day in court listening to that and over-pluralized everything on the menu. "Do you take credit cards-ez?" "We'd like some chips-ez."

[This message was edited by jane starnes on 07-09-03 at .]

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to JScroggins' accent problems. I had an officer who, after executing a search warrant on a house, wrote that he "found several rocks of crack cocaine under the conner of the bed." We puzzled that one for a while. You know, it's where you tuck in the covers.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stacy, you might be interested to know that, although I did not write the letters you speak of, My lovely wife (from Ohio) says that on my voice mail I ID myself (me, being from Texas) as an employee of the Districk Attorneys office.

Guilty as charged, I guess.

Posts: 37 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: July 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a seizure affidavit received earlier today:

"the [Defendant] also continued to state that his Driving Pillages had been suspended."

And to think--I didn't know that you could obtain a license to drive and pillage. I'm guessing under the new state scheme that plundering will cost extra.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This morning a woman approached a local defense attorney during the jail run and asked her to show her client, who was in the holdover call, a sonogram image. The lawyer did as she asked. Later, another woman approached the attorney to ask, "Who was that b#tch and why was she wanting my husband to see a sonogram?" The lawyer responded in a non-committal and diplomatic manner. When she told the defendant about the flap, he assured her that before he claimed the child as his own he would demand a fraternity test.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The complainant was informed that she would need to file a report with the Sheriff's Department in the county where the assault accrued.

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, Texas (Travis County) | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it count for anything to get the 1,000th post overall?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got this pro se motion to dismiss from an inmate:

"Plaintiff is incarcerated in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice-Institutional Division and is illiterate. Since presenting this case to the Court Plaintiff has returned to school and is currently working on his GED in school. At the onslaught of this suit Plaintiff depended on 'Jailhouse Lawyers' to obtain the records of his confiction.

...Plaintiff has found that he was ill advised, and wishes to apologize to the Court and all concerned for filing this frivilous lawsuit...."

[This message was edited by John Bradley on 07-12-03 at .]

[This message was edited by John Bradley on 07-12-03 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a letter sent to one of our Judges - "im in Jail for an MTR. The reason for my mtr is I violated some violation of my probation and I caught an avading arrest...." He also advises that, " I was unawear how long they (the guys who really had the marijuana) was out there and I was unawear that the police had been called."

This guy's defense, as told to the police officer who finally caught him and took him into custody as to why he ran was, "my probation officer told me not to have any contact with the Police." Hey at least he was listening to something his PO said!

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just couldn't let it dye !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the arrest warrant affidavit: "The victim stated the defendant put his hand under her pajama top but on top of her brazier."

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 07-30-03 at .]

posted Hide Post
I am sure his defense was: "She was hot!"

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The court received a letter from one of my defendants asking for his case to be dismissed. You see, he has suffered many "heartships" since being incarcerated, and he really misses his wife.

Posts: 31 | Location: Dallas County | Registered: March 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the probationer who was awaiting transport to SAFPF special needs. She had requested and received a court appointed attorney to appeal her involuntary modification after a revocation hearing in May of 2002, and she was very dismayed once the court of appeals denied her request for intervention. She was perhaps more dismayed that she was not in line for SAFPF from May of 2002 to December of 2002 due to the filing of her appeal and stay, and so thus chagrined she advised me that SHE WAS REVOKING HER OWN PROBATION and would not be participating in safpf no matter what.

I guess she's still up there, maybe working the program, as I haven't had a violation report cross my desk on her yet.

Posts: 37 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: July 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"And the deep-seated hostility that flowed between MCI and the rest of the industry made it hard to tell truth from fact."
WSJ August 1, 2003, p A10

Posts: 71 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post