TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Any issues with a JP Judge having defendants waive their right to appeal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any issues with a JP Judge having defendants waive their right to appeal? Login/Join 
posted
Our JP Judge introduced a new "Waiver of Appellate Rights" document in which the defendant waives any right to appeal the courts judgement.

It is signed in all cases, whether a plea bargain exists or not.

I'm not sure if this is standard practice in other counties and I don't do a lot of JP prosecution, but I was under the impression there was some sort of 10 day automatic appeal to County Court at Law provision. Any thoughts on a JP Judge having them sign a appellate waiver?

Posts: 11 | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Signed in all cases"? I am thinking the most immediate issue may be one with the State Commission on Judicial Conduct.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art. 45.052 CCP provides for appeals from JP courts up to CCLs. It is a trial de novo in the CCL. It's certainly not standard procedure -- or a procedure in any way, shape or form -- here and not something I've heard from elsewhere, either. Bad juju, seems to me.

Posts: 81 | Registered: December 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post