TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What do you think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think? Login/Join 
posted
Texas has joined two other Southwest border states � California and Arizona � that require immigrants to prove their legal status before they can get a driver's license.

The abrupt turnabout, which puts Texas' policy in line with all but eight states, took effect Oct. 1. The Public Safety Commission in Austin decided to change the rules administratively in late August after public hearings that received no publicity.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think certain members of the legislature will be screaming about this as they attempt to pass a law to change that new policy.

I see nothing wrong with this law. If I lived in a foreign country, I would have to abide by their laws and not only be a legal resident, but have valid license and insurance. Because in another country, an illegal resident with no drivers license would be put in jail and deported.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone choosing to live in our country is entitled to a normal life (until deported). The privilege to legally utilize our public roads should be extended to anyone who can pass the driving tests and provide proof of insurance. Their place of birth has nothing to do with their safety upon the road. Nor are any of these persons more likely to represent a threat to national security except through stereotyping. While these immigrants represent a change in the makeup and beliefs of our society as a whole, they do also represent "purchasing power" and other benefits for all of us. Using license applications or illegal driving as a screening device for identifying those subject to deportation might be nominally effective, but as others have pointed out, the inability to get a license will not necessarily discourage immigration nor driving, but will encourage failure to get insurance. There must be a careful cost-benefit analysis.

I generally favor denial of benefits to those persons who immigrate not to work hard and provide for their family, but merely to establish citizenship for a child or receive a handout from our government (or commit "local" crimes). Criminals should not receive government benefits and we should not pretend that these persons have not violated the law.

But, the privilege to drive is not the type of benefit that should hinge on deportabiity. Licensing is really a safety issue. There was a time when no one needed a license to use a public way. I do not think state driver's licenses should be the form of identification that helps to protect against terrorism or illegal immigration. That problem needs to be addressed, but this not a very effective way.

Given the fact that I would probably be likely to agree with Tom Tancredo on immigration issues, these thoughts may seem out-of-place. Will be interesting to see if the Republican legislature chooses to override the administrative agency on this one.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin, I totally disagree. They are called "illegal aliens" because they have broken the law by simply coming to this country, and therefore, they are NOT "entitled to a normal life". That's like saying a drug dealer who makes millions from destroying lives is entitled to all the benefits and should be left alone. If we are going to live in a nation with laws that people should follow, you don't condone illegal behavior by rewarding it by willingly allowing illegals to drive, receive welfare, get free schooling for their kids and free treatment at emergency rooms. By the way, all of that is at your expense as well as that of every other legal American taxpayer regardless of whether the illegals are working at a regular job or committing other criminal acts. You mention a "cost-benefit analysis" and I say that a lot of the problems in our country today are because of "cost-benefit analysis" as opposed to deciding based on what is right vs. what is wrong, because the former "analysis" doesn't take into account the adverse effect on the moral fiber of our society. So,when you talk about giving illegals any benefit or privilege that they haven't earned by coming here legally and working at becoming an American citizens like all of those who have been waiting in line for years, you've lost me because that is just one example of the host of reasons for a lot of the problems that are confronting the country today.

Posts: 22 | Location: Liberty, Texas, USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say I'm with Steve. If safety is the issue, why do I see a disproportionate number of vehicle fatalities involving illegals? The last one we had, the illegal who ran a stop sign kept on running from the scene and left a local mailman to die in the street. We traced his cell phone to Victoria before he turned it off. Once a criminal always a criminal, or so it seems.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I need to define "normal life." My definition extends only to such things as a place to live and food to eat if you can pay for it (until you are caught and deported). "Benefits" on the other hand should be reserved for those legally part of our society. If you can pass a driving test and pay the license fee and buy insurance and purchase a car, I am having a harder time saying you were "born in the wrong place," so stay off "our" roads. Actually, I might agree with that, except it will not work. Instead we will have uninsured drivers who do not have proven driving skills and no license fee income.

In other words, I agree with the idea that "we" have a great country, but you can share in it only by following the immigration laws. But, just like we cannot deny the privilege of breathing our air, certain other things cannot effectively be part of the war against illegal immigration. But, I will admit that nationalism and artificial boundaries remain somewhat mystic to me.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shucks, Martin. You're right up there where all those Okie foreigners come from. Smile

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't drag Okie's into this!

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post