TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Reimbursement for Subpoenaed Documents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reimbursement for Subpoenaed Documents Login/Join 
posted
I have looked in the C.Cr.P., and in the Government Code, but I don't think I am looking in the right place.

Is the State required to pay for documents we subpoena for use before the grand jury or the petit jury? Something tells me yes, but I can't find it.

The question has come up primarily by communications carriers demanding a hefty sum for their records.

Any help? Thanks................

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this previous thread:

Link.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JB!

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pursuant to Hurtado v. United States, 410 U.S. 589 (1973), supplying information in connection with a criminal investigation is normally considered a public duty, no matter how financially burdensome it may be. A business may not recover from the investigating authority the cost of retrieving and producing documents in response to a grand jury subpoena. Texas Attorney General Opinion #JC-0181. --These opinions did not involve phone records,though. So, take a look at them and see if they apply to your situation.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post