TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Obtain CS By Fraud
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obtain CS By Fraud Login/Join 
posted
About to go to trial on case where defendant presented completely forged prescription. No definition in Controlled Substances Act for forgery. Do I use the penal code definition? Or is there case law that directs me otherwise?

Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lubbock, Texas, America | Registered: October 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A person commits the offense of certain transfers of claims, as defined in the State Lottery Act if he, as pertinent to this appeal, induces another person to assign or transfer a right to claim a prize. Tex. Gov't Code Ann. S466.310(a)(1)(Vernon 1998). The State Lottery Act does not define the term induce. Furthermore, the parties have not directed us, and our research has failed to reveal, any other provisions of the Government Code or the Penal Code which furnish a definition for it. See id. S466.002. When words are not defined in a statute, they are ordinarily given their plain meaning unless the statute clearly shows that they were used in some other sense. Daniels v State, 754 S.W.2d 214, 219 (Tex.Cr.App.1988)." Jiwani v State, 2004 WL 1469408(Tex.App.-Amarillo) 2004.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you have it indicted?

481.129 speaks of fraudulent acquisition of controlled substances. Look at (a)(3) and (a)(5(A).

I'm assuming that you indicted under one of these sections and now need a definition because those words aren't internally defined in 481?

ALSO

The AG's office helped us out on a drug diversion case where a nurse was swiping meds from an assisted living home. I'll hook you up with the investigator on that case that may have some ideas or helpful thoughts.

pray@co.cooke.tx.us or (940) 668-5466.

[This message was edited by Philip D Ray on 03-29-05 at .]

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I'm going to have to us the plain language rule/ordinary/common definition.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lubbock, Texas, America | Registered: October 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post