TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Multiple Juries Multiple Defendants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple Juries Multiple Defendants Login/Join 
posted
I am speaking at a conference about multi-defendant and multi-victim cases. Has anyone had the experience where you've tried multiple defendants with simultaneous but separate juries? I would be interested in hearing about how that worked. Post a reply or send me an e-mail (jstarnes@wilco.org).

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but an interesting concept. Among other logistical problems, how do you accomodate everyone? Even large ceremonial courtrooms may not be adequate.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harris County did try multiple gang bangers on double homicides years ago. That is the one that was just affirmed by the supremes, I believe. They juggled witnesses through multiple courtrooms to do it all simultaneously.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gov. Perry, a few months back, granted a commutation of a death sentence to a life sentence, mentioning that he was concerned the defendant (nonshooter) was tried with a co-defendant (shooter). (By the way, that was not an issue being raised by the defendant, who claimed he was "innocent" because he didn't pull the trigger.) And, the current interim charges for the Senate include looking at whether the law should be changed to give a defendant the right to a separate trial under such circumstances.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post