TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    This weeks sign of the apocalypse.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This weeks sign of the apocalypse. Login/Join 
posted
With apologies to Sports Illustrated, this weeks sign of the apocalypse has to be Travis Co. capital appellant Guy Len Allen's claim of error predicated upon the allegation that jurors may have listened to Austin radio station KVET's "Sammy and Bob" morning show during his trial. I'm reasonably certain that Rob, Shannon and John Bradley are regular listeners/callers to Sammy and Bob. Do ya'll care to comment? Here's the link to the CCA's opinion of this date:

http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINIONS/HTMLOPINIONINFO.ASP?OPINIONID=14213

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have lived in the Austin area all my life, except for 10 years I was in Houston, and I have never listened to KVET or the "Sammy & Bob" show, or any country station for that matter. I doubt that this will turn out to be a problem for a Travis County jury. When I've gone down there and seen the people who show up for jury duty in our neighboring county, they don't appear to be hardcore country music fans.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heaven forbid that we would have a jury with the good taste, intellect and political savy to listen to Sam and Bob in the Morning!

Posts: 31 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure a prosecutor could get a better jury panel in Travis County than one full of folks who listen to the "Sam Or Bob" show ...

KVET link

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Kevin Landtroop>
posted
As some of the CCA types undoubtedly listen to the show (which I miss dearly here in Savannah), they could smell the claim's merits as it made its way West on 71. First, it's the Sam and Bob Show, not the Sammy and Bob Show. Second, it doesn't take too many mornings stuck in Austin traffic to realize that Sammy Allred's political leanings are a lot closer to Willie Nelson's than Toby Keith's. Harmless error.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm not sure a prosecutor could get a better jury panel in Travis County than one full of folks who listen to the "Sam Or Bob" show"
-Shannon Edmonds

Now there's an endorsement. I'm sure that will show up on billboards somehwere.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
... a Kevin Landtroop sighting!

Glad to hear you're alive and well in GA. Let us know how the JAG thing is going, Mr. former TDCAA law clerk!

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post