TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    LLC Member as theft defendant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LLC Member as theft defendant Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone filed a case against a member of an LLC for stealing from the LLC?

Posts: 41 | Location: Abilene, Taylor Co., TX. | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the question -- A,B, and C form LLC to recycle (clean and resell). A is designated president. A then forms company with another and begins selling the recycle goods under that company. Is it theft for 2/3 of what A sold under other company?

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
isn't it much like a partnership but with some corporate aspects? Misapp maybe?

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John's essentially correct that LLC's are a hybridized partnership-corporate business organization.

I'd strongly recommend spending some quality time with the Business Organizations Code.

Generally speaking, partners can't steal from each other as they each have joint and several ownership to any and all partnership assets.

LLC's usually speak in terms of "members" (if I recall correctly. My strong recommendation is to get the chartering documents, and take a hard look at the rights and responsibilities section, which will largely specify what the owners / members can and can't do.

Misapplication of Fiduciary Property is most likely your single best bet, as the chartering documentation will probably specify that each member is a fiduciary of the LLC and that he owes a duty of fair dealing.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 40 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: August 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post