TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Applying 42.0181 &42.0183
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Applying 42.0181 &42.0183 Login/Join 
posted
I'm a newly-elected county attorney, set to take office in a month. I've been looking at CCP 42.0181 and 42.0183. One has a provision whereby you report theft offenses for people holding insurance licenses, and the other where you report family violence done by members of the military. My question is whether a prosecutor's office is supposed to search a list of insurance licensees for every theft case, and a list of everyone in the military for family violence cases. How else would there be proper reporting if we didn't run these searches?

Posts: 26 | Registered: December 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the election!

I think the short answer is that according to the statute it's on the court, not yours, to report that information. I know that doesn't do a lot of good if the court asks you to do it for them.

It's worth noting that I probably disposed of 600-700 theft and assault cases in the last year and this is the first I've ever heard of this statute.

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Website allows you to view and print certificates of active duty military status, as long as you have a DOB or SSN to go with the name. I do this regularly when filing for civil default judgments.

https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post