Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enron trial Login/Join 
posted

Question:
Has anyone else been following the Enron Trial? As a former Houstonian who had several friends who worked for Enron, and several others who were heavily invested in their stock, I have been watching the trial coverage on the Houston Chronicle website and reading some of the blogs associated with the trial.

My poll question is, what will be the outcome of the trial?

In closing argument, I liked this quote best from Sean Berkowitz, AUSA:

"If what you heard in these past four months is business as usual in corporate America, ladies and gentlemen I would suggest we all take our money out of the stock market and never put a nickel back in."
-- Prosecutor and Enron Task Force Director Sean Berkowitz during his closing arguments.

I liked this closing argument excerpt the least, from former Harris County Prosecutor Chip Lewis:
[Chip] Lewis looked at the prosecution table and shouted to prosecutor Hueston: "Don't come to Houston, Texas, and lie to us."

And this was my favorite cartoon of the entire Enron debacle over the past few years, commenting on Ken Lay's repeated irritation with and poor treatment of his counsel George "Mac" Secrest, who I assume took over direct examination of Lay due to Mike Ramsey's hospitalization. Here's a link to a hilarious cartoon:

http://blogs.chron.com/nickanderson/archives/2006/04/kenny_boy.html

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 05-19-06 at .]

Choices:
Lay and Skilling convicted
Lay only convicted
Skilling only convicted
Not Guilty for both Skilling and Lay
Hung Jury

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So both Lay and Skilling found guilty. Lay on all counts, Skilling on a majority.

Is anyone surprised? Are there any sentencing predictions? Sentencing is set for 9-11-06, do you think Judge Lake set this date because Lay said that the downfall of Enron was his own personal 911?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Sentence him to Life, less 30 minutes.
2. One day; BUT he has to 'LAY'-out the
restitution + fine and costs!!
3. He stays, in the oldest prison we have,
until his wife spend every single dollar he
had squirreled away.

Posts: 22 | Registered: August 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what has been done to restore monies to those employees who lost so much? Imagine being close to retirement, or I suppose in retirement, and losing it all. No term of years can restore the money. All the defendants' personal funds should be forfeit (strip them of every asset). Also, they should have to earn and then pay every cent into a fund for the victims.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One local radio host suggested that Lay and Skilling be incarcerated in the Houston area and everyday they would be required to mow the lawns of the Enron employees they defrauded.

What other manner of menial labor could they be subjected to????

Posts: 17 | Location: Austin, TX U.S.A. | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stride: Agreed totally! I read an article in the NYTIMES saying that in the early 2000's Ken and his wife paid $4mil for an annuity that kicks in Feb 07, basically paying him $40+k per month and his wife $38+k per mo or $900k per year until their death. Untouchable by creditors the way it is set up, so his wife is set up for life. You have to wonder about him setting up a creditor proof retirement so long ago... All involved, and not just Lay and Skilling should have every asset possible forfeited. Same goes for the law firms and accounting firms who advised them. Every partner, every lawyer should not only lose their law license but everything possible as well.

BOOHER: I'm sure the members of this board can discuss some creative ways that the glimmer twins could pay back society and the victims.

It will be interesting to see what sentence they get, and to me more interesting to see what Judge Lake says about his September 11th sentencing date. As I said above, Lay testified that the fall of enron was his own personal 9/11, which to me cheapens the lives of our fallen fellow americans to have a crook say something like that. I hope they get pounded, and perhaps sent to Marion or ADMAX, the super federal prison, and not some minimum security deal.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 05-26-06 at .]

posted Hide Post
Hats off to the prosecution team who made a complicated case understandable and got a quick verdict!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post