TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Booting the Boot Rule
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booting the Boot Rule Login/Join 
posted
From an Austin columnist:

"Every once in a while I write something that makes a big difference to the world situation like a size 13 boot size big difference.

On Sunday morning I wrote a column pointing out that Lakeway Municipal Court Judge Kevin Madison's rule banning cowboy boots on lawyers in court was about as Texan as the Hamptons."

Rest of story.

[Do you wear boots to court?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course. I'm hoping to get a pair of custom made ones and suits cut to break right on them.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I've seen plenty of attorneys who do. I don't understand why you'd ban them, unless you were having a problem of people wearing them with dirt and spurs still on!

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't even own a pair of dress shoes anymore. If my court banned boots I'd probably have to turn to the darkside.

Posts: 106 | Location: Galveston, Tx. | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a dumb rule. But getting far less attention and no public outcry was his "women must wear hosiery" rule. Equally dumb and antiquated. A) It's Texas and it's hot. B) No one under 35 has ever even put on a pair of hose, so wearing hose brands you as an old lady. That said, I do still wear hose occasionally, particularly in trial, but I don't wear them all the time and when I do wear them, I regard them as an instrument of torture. What about that rule?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start your own thread.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, Jane? I'm under 35 and wear hose regularly. Sorry. It's even in our dress code.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone who would ban cowboy boots in court sort of sounds like a Communist. You'd think he'd have more important things to do--like enforce the White Shoe Rule.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boots are how we identify the Houston lawyers out here in the country. Most local attorneys wear dress shoes to court.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I wore womens stockings to keep the leeches off when we crossed water...it doesn't work in Texas courts by the way.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd quit on the spot if they made us wear hose.
If you look professional, what's the problem?
But I do work on an island....

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, so what would be unprofessional to wear in a Texas courtroom?

posted Hide Post
Just today I saw two unprofessional outfits.
One involved fishnets.
The other was a cut off shirt, shorts, pointed cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat. (I do believe, however, this guy was not a lawyer....so, his idea of an approriate courtroom outfit might be a bit different.)

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post