TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Criminal Interdiction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Criminal Interdiction Login/Join 
posted
Does being in uniform and aboard a passenger bus (on a traffic stop not at bus depot) to conduct a consentual encounter warrant a seizure?

Roque F. Martinez

Posts: 2 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read your post 7-8 times and the only thing I can think that you are asking is whether a uniformed officer can get on a bus at a bus stop as a rider like any other in order to engage in consensual encounters with people on the bus, and then base a detention on the conversations and observations resulting from those encounters. Is that your question?

Because if you're asking whether an officer can make a traffic stop to engage in a consensual encounter to justify a seizure, your question makes no sense.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, this looks like a question from a member of the general public seeking legal advice as opposed to a member of the legal community using this board.

Posts: 108 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only reason I responded was because the user has a City of Austin email address and ID's himself as a police officer in his profile. Otherwise, I would agree with you, V.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone can put anything in a profile. His question makes no sense for a PO to be asking.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the question...but I just confirmed he's for real.

posted Hide Post
sorry for the confusion.

I am doing some research trying to find case law in reference to the subject of PASSENGER BUS CRIMINAL INTERDICTION.

I want to know what people think about this situation:

Officer makes a traffic stop on a passenger bus, on a public roadway. Officer asks bus driver for CONSENT to speak to the passengers. CONSENT is granted. Officer enters the bus and makes consentual contact with 1,2, or 3 passengers to investigate criminal activity. 50% say NO GO because officer is uniform and 50% say GOOD TO GO as long as its CONSENTUAL, PERSON SHOULD KNOW THEY ARE FREE TO GO.

Roque F. Martinez

Posts: 2 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This subject, including the principal authorities, is addressed in TDCAA's Warrantless Search and Seizure Manual (2008) pp. 127-28.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post