Tools

Previous jobs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Roughneck
Roustabout
Halliburton well services
Deck hand on shrimp boat
interstate truck driver

lessons learned: ...get back in school, truck stop waitresses get better looking over time....how to communicate with the working man

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dreamed of one day carrying Greg G.'s briefcase, but I couldn't pass the agility test: it kept falling off the barstoolmobile.

P.S. Sarah, I think the topic has snowballed. Kind of like when fans line up for APLI T-shirts and pandemonium suddenly explodes and nothing is able to quell the riotous horde.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Banjo recycler.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High School:
Fast Food( boss was a bookee who managed his business from the back room)
Vet assistant
Lawn worker
College:
Boring and tunneling(other than pneumatic tools, it's the same as egyptian times)
Oil Co. environmental division(3 summers)(I know, oil co. and environment do not go together)
Real life:
Tire Plant production manager in union environment( I know why the car companies are going bankrupt)
Retail Management(13 years)
father of teenagers!

Posts: 61 | Location: Kerrville, Tx | Registered: June 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I shot chickens out of cannons at airplane windshields."

Also, invented the ice chest with wheels, but never got credit or royalties.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I invented fire and the wheel.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In between undergrad and law school I worked for a mutual fund company in a rather large call center. I was there for the all time tech high and the huge fall. I spoke to people with huge sums of money and people who were sold a bill of goods that their $100 investment would be worth hundreds of thousands. I learned how to talk to people about money. It was a fairly easy transition to be able to talk to people about sexual abuse.

I also voluntered at a crisis hotline. That taught me how to talk to the deluded...not that I'm calling anyone I work with deluded.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A&M Bus Driver. Not sure it prepared me for being a prosecutor, except that when I have to be downtown, I can parallel park anything anywhere.

The job that best prepared me was probably cleaning horse stalls in high school. Cool

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BEST JOB: Being selected, after completing a 50 page questionaire and competing in a rigorous audition, to be A.P. Merillat's drummer in A.P. and the Lesser Includeds. Fringe benefits include listening to AP and Brumley philosophize about various important topics of the day and discuss the variance in beer prices across Texas.

WORST JOB: Selling AAA policies via telephone sales while in high school. I lasted one four hour shift.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
Also, invented the ice chest with wheels, but never got credit or royalties.

I've got a loose wheel on my igloo. When you get a spare moment, can you drive several hundred miles and repair this design flaw?

posted Hide Post
I don't think this job taught me anything helpful, but, while in college, during one summer, I was asked to tutor a teenager who failed high school English. Catch was I had to do it on a yacht as it toured the Caribbean all summer. Got my own bedroom. Spent one hour a day getting this kid to talk about the Odyssey and gave him a quiz. Then was free to enjoy scuba diving, beaches and endless blue water.

My mom was furious because I quit a job stocking groceries in the night shift to do it.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want that job now. Do you know any more stupid rich kids who need tutoring?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or banjo lessons?

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other jobs included:

scraping and painting the exterior of houses;

scooping ice cream;

unloading grocery trucks;

driving a hot-shot delivery truck;

serving food in a cafeteria;

answering the phone at a private club.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
I don't think this job taught me anything helpful, but, while in college, during one summer, I was asked to tutor a teenager who failed high school English. Catch was I had to do it on a yacht as it toured the Caribbean all summer. Got my own bedroom. Spent one hour a day getting this kid to talk about the Odyssey and gave him a quiz. Then was free to enjoy scuba diving, beaches and endless blue water.

My mom was furious because I quit a job stocking groceries in the night shift to do it.

I wish I had something as exciting and relaxing on my resume. That story sounds very worthy of a story needing to be told, perhaps in a song.

posted Hide Post
One day, the captain of the yacht docked at a place called Swan Island. Said we needed some meat.

Military people in a jeep met us at the dock. We rode in the jeep over the island until they came to a heifer, grazing in the grass. One of the military guys walked over and shot the heifer with his automatic rifle. Bam. No warning.

Then, they dragged the animal back to the dock and hung it by hind legs from a hook. Another guy sharpened a knife and began butchering the meat. Threw the organs into the ocean, which soon was swarming with sharks feeding on the entrails.

The meat was put in the freezer. That night the cook on the yacht served up fresh steak. For a teenage boy who only a few days earlier had been stocking groceries at night, it was a fascinating day.

Remind me to tell you about the day that the captain tried to hook me up with some local, um, female companionship.

posted Hide Post
Brumley, AP, Newell, myself and others will undoubtedly form a line at the next annual to hear this.

posted Hide Post
"...hear the bell ring as the tight rigging sings, it's a son of a gun of a chorus..."

At next year's annual, maybe a one-act play about the adventures of JB the sailing tutor.

posted Hide Post
When I was 15, I lied on the application and said I was 17 so I could get a job as a telephone solicitor for a vacuum cleaner sales company. Me, and 2 other high school girls, sat at these tiny little desks and just went randomly through the phone book and cold-called people, telling them if they called back in the next 10 minutes, they'd win some ambiguously described "voucher." If the people called back, they got the "real" salesperson, who would try to set up an appointment for a vacuum cleaner demo at their house. The boss was a sleaze, and made inappropriate comments to all of us girls, and when I refused to go out with him, he fired us all. It was my first job, and I was devastated to be fired from it. For about 10 minutes.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had a job making cold calls for newspaper subscriptions. At the end of the first week, when I picked her up (I was in law school), she got in the car and cried. She did not go back to that job.