TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Whiskers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskers Login/Join 
posted
Ex parte Shoe (defendant estopped from claiming his prior DWI conviction was void for absence of a mandated fine because he agreed to it) has been pending before the CCA since 2004. What the heck is taking so long? Any thoughts? Anyone have an older PDR pending?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just waiting for a prince to pick it up!

[This message was edited by John Stride on 08-01-06 at .]

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're waiting for the other one to drop?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they just need some precedent?

Fitts v. State, 982 S.W.2d 175, and Wear v. State, 283 S.W. 811, perhaps?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a related matter, I have had a State's appeal pending post-submission in the 5th COA for over six months. Usually, the Court acts expeditiously. Perhaps the issue was more knotty than I thought! The issue is whether the trial court wrongly granted a pre-verdict motion for mistrial after the verdict?

[This message was edited by John Stride on 08-02-06 at .]

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Third Court in Austin is taking two years to return opinions. I'm sure they have excuses.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently they are overloaded in places, since I just had 3 appeals transfered from the Tyler Court of Appeals to the court in Amarillo. Going to make one heck of a drive for oral argument.

Posts: 71 | Location: Henderson, Texas | Registered: June 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for a decision on one of my cases since Nov. 2004.

I don't understand the delay.

Posts: 64 | Location: Johnson County, Texas | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but assuming you are granted oral argument in any transfer cases, you're more apt to find the transferee court coming to visit you.

It's long been the policy of the 6th Court that when oral argument is granted in transfer cases, the Court travels to the hometown of the transferring court to hear argument. For example, this past Spring the 6th travelled to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, & Houston to hear a batch of oral argument transfers from the various courts in those cities.

If anyone has a different exeperience regarding oral argument in transfer cases, I'd like to know about it.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least the 8th COA has conducted live video arguments instead of the court or the parties traveling great distances. But even with that, in McKinney we drive to Dallas (SMU). And, we have had the 11th COA require both parties to travel from McKinney to Eastland.

posted Hide Post
The 11th COA used to travel when I clerked there. (went to Dallas with the Court and other clerks went to Houston - we paid our own expenses, but the Court had expenses paid). I have heard that expense cutbacks are a primary reason why they are no longer traveling. I would assume that other courts may be facing the same type of cutbacks.

I am sometimes confused by the length of time some opinions take. Especially, when one relatively simple appeal is submitted months before a more complicated one and the more complicated appeal gets an opinion first.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 13th regularly gets transfer cases and always travels to the transferring district to hear argument.

Our oldest appeal: pending in the 13th on remand from the CCA since October of 2002.

Our oldest motion for rehearing: pending since last July after the denial of the defendant's meritless mandamus. Defendant, an elected official who has been suspended with pay pending the outcome of his evading charge, has now been on paid vacation for about 18 months.

Can you mandamus to get a final ruling on a mandamus?

Posts: 23 | Location: Hidalgo County | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoe wasn't submitted until May 25, 2005 -- it took some time to get an appellate attorney appointed after his pro se PDR was granted.

Don't know what to make of it taking so long but they granted another State's PDR on the same issue so I guess that's a good sign?

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoe was dismissed today as an improvident grant so the Fort Worth coa's favorable opinion stands.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post