TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Felony DWI with DUI Priors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felony DWI with DUI Priors Login/Join 
posted
I'm working on a Felony DWI where the Defendant has two priors of DUI - Liquor. One DUI is from 1984 and the other from 1988. The Defendant was over 21 for each offense so she was not a minor when they occurred.

According to the DWI statute under Section 49.09(b)(2), priors must be "intoxicated" offenses. In other words, I'm not clear on whether I can enhance the current DWI offense to a felony since the priors are "under the influence". Is anyone aware of whether I can use the two DUI priors to enhance to felony? I'm not able to find any authority saying either way. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, 49.09(c) says what you can use as priors. It doesn't fit under that?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolf:

Generally, you will see "DUI - Liquor" or "DUI - Alcohol" on Criminal Histories from before 1990. Something strange about the coding of forms sent to DPS back then.... Don't confuse these with the current Class C Misdemeanor of "DUI-Minor", as that offense didn't exist in the 1980's. You've already ensured that your Def was older than 21 yoa at the time of these offenses, so good deal there. Also, don't be overly concerned with "Under the Influence" vs "Intoxicated".

If you can obtain the Complaint/Information/Judgments from the previous cases, you'll probably find the language to be substantially the same as current law; including the word "intoxicated" (although it will likely read "beach or highway" instead of "public place"), and thus - usable for enhancement. I've run into this issue many times with "old" priors, and have yet to have any significant issues.

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brent nailed it, get the judgments. If you can't find them, well there you go. If they are clearly DWI (notice that public road and highway was replaced with public place) then they should qualify. That minor change is all I remember between the old transportation code during that period and the new provision in PC chapter 49.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it when Clay backs me up; I feel so special.

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post