TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Video Tape Confession of Murder in Spanish and English
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video Tape Confession of Murder in Spanish and English Login/Join 
posted
In a murder prosecution, Defendant gave a video taped confession. In the video the police question him in English but he replies in Spanish. I want this video to be introduced into evidence, but according to TRE 1009 i must give the defense a copy of the translation 45 days prior to trial. I have not done so, is there any way around this? Any help will be appreciated.

Posts: 31 | Location: Laredo, Texas, Webb | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A motion for a continuance?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any good argument to go under 1009 (f)? Is he really going to argue that he was unnecessarily surprised by his own words?

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a translation? You just said you want the video introduced, not a translation of it. If your defendant only speaks Spanish, then presumably you will need a Spanish interpreter for the trial. Have the intrepreter interpret the Spanish on the tape just like he/she would do for testimony.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about having a live translator to translate during trial?

Posts: 17 | Location: Rio Grande City, TX, U.S. | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motion for continuance and plead honest mistake and accept responsibility for not providing the transcript in a timely fashion.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for all your comments.

Posts: 31 | Location: Laredo, Texas, Webb | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post