TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Name Your Nominee
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name Your Nominee Login/Join 
posted
Justice David H. Souter, the Republican-appointed New England jurist who has become a reliable member of the liberal bloc on the Supreme Court, has told friends that he plans to retire, according to a government official.

Details.

So, who do you want to see as his replacement?

Regardless of the person, I'm betting the nominee will be female. Ever since the loss of Sandra Day O'Connor, the court has been a bit gender-short.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since Bush Snr appointed a liberal, perhaps Obama can return the favor to appoint a conservative!

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elena Kagen. I think the first vacancy came a little sooner than he'd planned, but I think Kagen is being groomed for a spot.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
Me! Wait.....I've actually read the Constitution.....and paid my taxes.....never mind.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that he'll choose a female. Ginsburg has lamented that she's the only female on the bench. I don't have a name but I can describe the profile - activist/liberal judicial philosophy, willingness to legislate from the bench, and little or no respect for the Constitution. At least she'll be replacing someone with a similar profile.

Posts: 57 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, just because someone is liberal doesn't mean they don't follow the Constitution. All the justices on the Supreme Court greatly respect the Constitution. Take it easy there.

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some are willing to look to other countries in interpreting our constitution. These are also the ones that fall in the liberal tent. I don't see this as respecting the constitution.

Posts: 42 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: June 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harriet Miers.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonia Sotomayer. Female and Hispanic. How sad that we have to start handicapping Supreme Court Justices like the Oscars.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
Harriet Miers.

Who can forget one of the best blogs of all time?

Qualifications is her legal middle name

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newell is not too young to be a Supreme. A little gray spray around the temples and ta-da, Associate Supreme Court Justice Newell.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beyond footnotes about Ludacris, I'm not sure I'd have much to offer except maybe the first opinion to ever start with "Dude, . . ."

posted Hide Post
The Newell-man, always selling himself way too short. Dude.

posted Hide Post
I'm no AndreaW.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 05-04-09 at .]

posted Hide Post
I'd have to vote for Kagan also. She wasn't dean yet back when I was in school, but she was a professor and a mighty fine one at that.

I don't know her well enough to predict how she'd vote, but I can predict that her opinions would be well crafted, well thought out, and be cognizant of the practical implications.

From my, admittedly limited, interactions with her, she always struck me as a pragmatic thinker, moreso than one would expect from someone then thoroughly entrenched in academia.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Bork. He'd make a great Supreme.

By picking Bork, Obama would be showing that he really is serious about being bipartisan, and that he really is serious about naming the most qualified, regardless of sex or race. Bork would be a truly inspired pick.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Breen:
Judge Bork. He'd make a great Supreme.

By picking Bork, Obama would be showing that he really is serious about being bipartisan, and that he really is serious about naming the most qualified, regardless of sex or race. Bork would be a truly inspired pick.

I'm thinking AndreaW over Bork anyday.

posted Hide Post
So I just need to get David or Greg elected President, then I'm a sure bet for a lifetime job. Sweet. Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Your honor, citing Justice Newell..." It's gotta ring to it!

Bork is way too old. Arnold Schwartsenegger (sp) would be a bold pic, like putting Earl Warren on the bench... except with an accent. Oral arguments would be totally fun with Arnold interrupting counsel's argument with his questions!

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not a toom-ah.