TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Appearance bond for class C ticket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearance bond for class C ticket Login/Join 
posted
We have a jp here making individuals post appearance bonds on class C cases for every "Not Guilty" plea to insure their appearance in court.

Anyone heard of this or know where the authority is?

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Code of Criminal Procedure 45.016 allows bail for cases in justice courts. I have suggested to our JPs that they release on PR bonds rather than cash/surety bonds, but it is totally within their discretion.

Posts: 5 | Location: Walker County Criminal District Attorney | Registered: March 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But they haven't been arrested, particularly speeders who I thought can't be arrested.

So, a person who law enforcement can't arrest can be arrested if they refuse to post a bond when they enter a not guilty plea?

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only time I have seen appearance bonds posted is to lift a warrant for failure to appear or VPTA but not just for a entry of not guilty and requesting a court date

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I understand now. I was thinking of when the person was already in jail, usually on some other charge as well. I have not heard of requiring a bond just for entering a not guilty plea either.

Posts: 5 | Location: Walker County Criminal District Attorney | Registered: March 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post