TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Writ of Certiorari
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writ of Certiorari Login/Join 
posted
Just got notice of the filing of a petition for a writ of certiorari from one of our defendants. Not to say we are a small town, but I called DC to make sure I wasn't being pranked!!!! In a decade I haven't seen one of these in our parts!!! If anyone knows what to do....help!!!

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not a capital case and you don't think it's raising anything significant, you can file a waiver of reply. They're supposed to send you a form to use, or you can get it from the SCOTUS website.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the link: Waiver Form

I think the form has to be signed by a member of the Bar of the U.S. Supreme Court. Admission to the Bar is painless, but it has to be made on the motion of someone already a member of the bar.

Here's the Application Form for admission to the SCOTUS Bar.

Here are the Instructions for Bar Admission.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Painless? Dude, it costs like $200 or some such. I mean, what do I pay taxes for?
Although, I suppose that's worth it for a handy certificate you can thumb-tack to the wall.

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny that they expect the DA to go beg an attorney not employed by the DA's office,but licensed with the Supremes, to sign paper on behalf of the DA, for whom they don't work, about a case they have nothing to do with!!!! And on a side note.....Nacogdoches Texas is FULL of lawyers licensed with them to ask that favor of!!!!

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or cross-deputize an ADA or ADCA from another county who is admitted to the Supreme Court...

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the sort of thing John Stride should be able to sign for you...

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post