TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    College of the State Bar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College of the State Bar Login/Join 
posted
As a prosecutor, do you feel membership is worthwhile?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about it as well...the link for those who are wondering what it is: http://www.texasbarcollege.com/

It seems like it serves as an honor - given it is an honor society for people who keep updated on their profession through CLE.

There's a certificate you can frame in your office. I haven't been too impressed by it. You can put it on your resume. I think that it may be helpful in future job interviews, assuming the person screening it knows what it means.

Supposedly you can use the honor to get paid more. But aren't CA and DA offices budgets pretty much fixed? Most prosecutors seem to be distinguish themselves through consistent performance, trying high profile cases, or publishing and speaking at events.

I think potential discounts through Texas Bar CLE, or a free annual subscription to the online library of www.TexasBarCLE.com may be useful. Though to be honest, the biggest chunk of my CLE has come from TDCAA hosted training sessions.

I might be interested in being permitted to setup "CUSTOM CLE" programs video replays of Texas Bar CLE advanced courses and topical programs. That would help develop recognition in the legal community.

Posts: 36 | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is such an "honor," why are you paying for the extra CLE or contributing your time to prepare it, taking time away from the office, and paying for the college membership? Possibly I'm odd, but I have been eligible for years and refuse to join. It may help in the civil world and be something you can add to your resume (maybe, also, you are passionate about collecting certificates), however, personally, the benefits are lost on me.

Full disclosure: I sit (or did until now) on two SBOT committees and have presented SBOT CLEs, so I'm not totally ill-disposed towards the bar!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not as a credential, but because of the unlimited access to every online CLE available. In my job as police legal advisor I get all kinds of questions from all different practice areas, and it helps to be able to find a CLE article on topic. As a prosecutor, you would get all the advanced criminal law CLE papers and video presentation without paying the 400 or 500 to attend.

Posts: 42 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: June 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff makes a valid point. But SBOT cttee participation or SBOT speaking engagements can provide similar "perks," so paying for the College may still not reward those more proactive types.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post