TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Compelled disclosure of computer/cell phone passwords
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compelled disclosure of computer/cell phone passwords Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone tried to compel disclosure (via a grand jury subpoena or search warrant) of a password or unlock pattern (for a droid phone) from a defendant.

We have an aggravated robbery where the defendant was communicating with co-defendants and third parties via texts and calls from his droid phone. Defendant has been arrested and his cell phone has been seized and authorized for searching via a search warrant.

Trying to avoid a 6-9 month backlog for the US Secret Service to hack the encryption.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think DPS in Austin may be able to do this. If not there are some outside private companies that do this sort of thing. I am not sure about the Droid, but maybe go to the company and ask them. I know of some crime labs outside of Texas that do this sort of thing so somebody has to be able to do it if the defendant won't. He is likely to forget his password temporarily anyhow.

Dr. Monte Miller
mmiller@forensicdnaexperts.com
www.forensicdnaexperts.com

Posts: 14 | Location: Riverside, Ca, USA | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I think most service providers can provide all the information you need to unlock the phone. I know it hasn't been a problem here with the Cell-a-Brite (sp?) technology. Just make sure you keep the phone wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent the crook from doing a remote "wipe" of his phone.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your suspect or witness is compelled to give a "password" it may also be the hot key to wiping the phone. Cracking it takes time but may be safer in the long run.

Posts: 13 | Location: Granbury, Texas, USA | Registered: March 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's help. Through our investigation we were able to determine that one crook allowed the other crook to use his cell phone during the manhunt. The other crook (who has cooperated throughout the investigation) was only too happy to give up his friend's password to the phone.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post