TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DPS contracted labs charging for Certificates of Analysis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DPS contracted labs charging for Certificates of Analysis Login/Join 
posted
So there's a case with a DWI blood draw and the blood was sent to Pennsylvania for testing.

I'd like to enter the report in using a certificate of analysis affidavit form that I've prepared following CCP 34.41.

However, the lab says they will charge $75 to prepare a document with the same information that I'm asking about.

I've never had a case where a non-DPS lab was involved. Is this charge typical? What are your experiences dealing with blood being sent out of state for analysis?

Posts: 36 | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Why would the State not choose to hire someone in Texas to perform this work? Does not seem cost-effective to me, or of any benefit to local economy.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, some of the finest labs in the country are not located in Texas. Here's a prime example Rocky Mountain lab

I challenge you to find a lab in Texas that can match what these folks can do.

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky Mountain lab is not ASCLD accredited!

Posts: 70 | Location: Ft. Worth, Texas | Registered: October 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it NMS? We are getting these, too. I was advised by the DPS Crime Lab in Austin that they contracted with NMS to help with their back log. NMS also told us about the charges for the cert. of analysis, and it's even extra for an affidavit if we want that. To date, we haven't had to "buy" our evidence because these few cases have plead. I imagine the DPS crime lab is aware of the fees... but I can't say that with certainty.

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait a second. DPS is supposed to be free for law enforcement testing. If they contracted with someone else, the certificate should be included within that contract. This smells like a feedlot to me.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the NMS lab in PA.

Our office contacted DPS in Austin who arranged to cover the bill.

Posts: 36 | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up!

I wish more posters would do that so that ... (hint, hint)

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so subpoena them to Texas a few times and see if they don't become more cooperaative.

Posts: 130 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Integrated Forensic Labs (IFL) in Euless, Tx. We are both ASCLD/LAB and TxDPS accredited in many disciplines, including BAC. We do NOT charge for CoA's or other administrative documents (affidavits, restitution forms, and ALR's). We do charge for large subpoena requests, but those are rare.

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One agency (I wish there were more!) in my County uses IFL. They are excellent! Insanely fast turn-around time on blood alcohol testng, great staff, etc. Ron knows what he's doing.

Money's always tight, DPS is free, IFL is not - but: You get what you pay for!

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post