TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What to Charge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to Charge? Login/Join 
posted
A hits V in head at bar. V was dragged outside bar. Later people say he needs medical attention. B and C head towards hospital with V but drop him off in a field. Several hours later V is discovered. V dies but ME stated that if V had medical treatment earlier because it was a slow bleed he probably would have survived. Know there is no duty to get medical attention, but did B and C perform an act that is reckless or negligent that contributed to his death? Think 38.171 is definitely a possibility, but is there anything else?

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or manslaughter, but you lack the causation element. Felony stupid is about all I can come up with, other than 38.171.

Now - going way out there - have you thought of kidnapping? He was abducted, in the sense that he was secreted in a place not likely to be found (by dumping him in a field - I assume he was unresponsive and unable to get away). Under 20.03, of course, there is an affirmative defense for no deadly force or threat of the same. Then there is the argument over whether dumping him in the field was deadly force, under the circumstance.

Yes, that's way out there. But this just isn't right, and a class A misdemeanor isn't enough.

Where are the big brains on this?

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They knew that he needed medical attention. Didn't they, by taking him from the bar and leaving him in a field, not only fail to get help for him but also overtly put him in a position where nobody else could help him either? In a way, that kind of remind's me of Alpert's old windshield case. At least in the failure to get help aspect of it.

Posts: 64 | Location: Brazos County, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, kidnapping is worth looking at.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help - the windshield case came to mind but she caused the accident. I am looking at kidnapping to see if it works. I think 20.03 might work but because of the definitions of restrain and abduct it might be difficult to show since V was unconscious.

[This message was edited by pkdyer on 07-26-11 at .]

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar case here a few years ago which resulted in a very innovative charging and prosecution. Wish I had thought of it, but a homicide detective scoured the PC and came up with it.
1. Victim is "disabled" as defined under 22.04(c)(3) due to his injury.
2. The defendants assumed the disabled victim's care by beginning to transport him to the hospital. 22.04(b)(2) and 22.04(d)
3. The defendants omission (not getting the disabled victim to the hospital) resulted in a serious bodily injury (to say the least) under 22.04(a)(1).
4. This innovative charging results in a first degree if intentionally or knowingly committed; or a second degree if recklessly committed, per 22.04(e)
Best of luck to you.
JDM

Posts: 12 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. This may be exactly what we are looking for.