TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Gallup looks at the death penalty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gallup looks at the death penalty Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Interesting stuff ...

Sixty-nine Percent of Americans Support Death Penalty

Majority say death penalty is applied fairly

by Frank Newport
GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup's annual October Gallup Poll Social Series update on Americans' attitudes toward crime shows no diminution in Americans' strong support for the death penalty in cases of murder.

The full story, which contains lots of tables and graphs, can be found here:

Gallup Poll (10/12/07)

For those of you picking a jury in a death-eligible case, check out the excerpt labeled "Support by Subgroups."

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's more support than Gov. Perry got last year to be elected.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, I notice a casual reference to "innocents" on DR who have been exonerated by DNA testing.

This is repeated so often, no one even questions it anymore.

But I have to ask: what is the name of this person on DR who was exonerated by DNA evidence? I'm not talking trial error or plea bargains for life to resolve appellate issues. I'm talking actual "innocence." Who are these people?

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly, in two Texas-centric polls this week, random samples of twelve have twice, unanimously, voiced their support for the death penalty. And one of those polls was apparently in that sordid, anti-death penalty Peoples Republic of Travis County.

You can't argue with those numbers, folks! Cool

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSchaefer:
Once again, I notice a casual reference to "innocents" on DR who have been exonerated by DNA testing.

This is repeated so often, no one even questions it anymore.

But I have to ask: what is the name of this person on DR who was exonerated by DNA evidence? I'm not talking trial error or plea bargains for life to resolve appellate issues. I'm talking actual "innocence." Who are these people?

A very reasonable request, I think.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
That's more support than Gov. Perry got last year to be elected.
Polling 69% is like a mandate from the almighty. I bet Reagan never polled 69% as president, and he is the most popular president I can remember. I bet Ike wouldn't have polled 69% in 1945 after the Nazi's gave up.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nazis. I hate those guys.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Certainly, in two Texas-centric polls this week, random samples of twelve have twice, unanimously, voiced their support for the death penalty.

I wouldn't say a jury is exactly random after it is DP qualified.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Ike

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlexLayman:

I wouldn't say a jury is exactly random after it is DP qualified.

No, but under the law it is fair, reasonable and just. And it's decision to impose the DP should be given great respect.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Same old, same old ...

November 8, 2010

In U.S., 64% Support Death Penalty in Cases of Murder

Half say death penalty not imposed often enough

by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup's annual Crime Survey finds that 64% of Americans continue to support the use of the death penalty for persons convicted of murder, while 29% oppose it -- continuing a trend that has shown little change over the last seven years.

The full analysis

[Note that this is just talking about murder. Not "capital" murder, not "aggravated" murder, not "torturous" murder ... just garden-variety murder. That's pretty hard core!]

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whoa! I don't know this outfit, but they've apparently found a pro-DP sentiment that Gallup missed, even despite concerns about innocent people being executed ...

Americans Support Punishing Murder with the Death Penalty

Four-in-five respondents believe innocent people have been executed in the United States.

[NEW YORK - Nov. 9, 2010] - ... Across the country, 83 per cent of respondents support punishing homicide with the death penalty, while 13 per cent are opposed. A majority of Americans would also rely on capital punishment to punish rape (62%) and kidnapping (51%), but not armed robbery (40%).

The poll results from Angus-Reid Public Opinion

posted Hide Post
Interesting observations:

• Of the regional breakdown, support for capital punishment was lowest in the South at 79%.
  • Overall, 81% of respondents believed an innocent person had been executed in the United States

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The anti-DP crowd fight back, taking a different tack with some of their questions ...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Poll Shows Growing Support for Alternatives to the Death Penalty; Capital Punishment Ranked Lowest Among Budget Priorities

(Washington, D.C.) The Death Penalty Information Center today released the results of one of the most comprehensive studies ever conducted of Americans' views on the death penalty. A national poll of 1,500 registered voters conducted by Lake Research Partners shows growing support for alternatives to the death penalty compared with previous polls. A clear majority of voters (61%) would choose a punishment other than the death penalty for murder, including life with no possibility of parole and with restitution to the victim's family (39%), life with no possibility of parole (13%), or life with the possibility of parole (9%).

The full results

posted Hide Post
Perhaps greatest support would be for an alternative to the original murder. Some family counseling, perhaps.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a CCA opinion today, the defense argued, "the Eighth Amendment is not a 'constitutional Gallup poll' designed to mandate whatever the day's consensus is."

Funny how they only don't want the consensus when the consensus says they lose. Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then clearly they don't support the "evolving standards of decency" test from SCOTUS - because, after all, isn't that what that test really is? A constitutional Gallup poll? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Even academic legal commentators are calling b.s. on the push polling done by DPIC:

New (biased?) death penalty poll provides more grist for debate

posted Hide Post
I'm curious about the life with restitution to the victim's family option. How do we assess the restitution amount for the deceased victim? Do we have a hearing on the relative worth of our victim? What about inability to pay? I don't know about everyone else, but most of our murderers don't have any money, so do they get life with restitution and a built-in inability to pay defense? Is there a payment plan option?

The ridiculousness of that "option" just makes the stupidity of this "poll" even more apparent.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post