TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    office cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

office cleaning Login/Join 
posted
I generally try to predict how long it will take the jury to return a verdict in the guilt phase, and I try not to worry about it before that time comes. I add extra time because I think it's only fair, even in a slam dunk case, to give them time to talk about what they heard all week because they weren't supposed to be commenting on it during the trial. It seems like we spend a fair amount of time finalizing the logistics of any punishment witnesses or evidence. And occasionally, I start on the punishment charge. I did have one court partner whose superstition about doing that rubbed off on me to some extent, but not being a superstitious person generally I can work on the charge in defiance to show I am not superstitious.

During punishment, it's much more relaxing and the relief starts to set in when it's out of my hands. I sometimes take an informal poll to see who gets the closest prediction to punishment. I can occasionally accomplish some of the mundane tasks associated with paperwork for the trial, and I spend some time packing my file up and putting everything in one place in anticipation of getting it out of my office.

Speaking of my office, if I'm too nervous to do anything else during either phase, I clean my office. Don't say anything John or Jane about my office!

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this meant to be a reply to "what do you do while you wait for a verdict?"?? Or is this a whole new topic? Everybody, next time you come to Georgetown, come peek in Jana's office. You can tell she hasn't waited on a verdict in a while!

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, this was supposed to be in the verdict waiting category, but now as long as I've started this, let's hear from the messy office people!

Or maybe the clean desk types can volunteer their best tips for ending the clutter. Rob Kepple told me about his "stuff I might want to read someday" pile that gets trashed every so often whether he's read it or not. Great idea, I'm fixing to throw mine out again (not having read it).

I'll be the first to admit my office looks busy. But I know where everything is...Jane.

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JK McCown:
I'll be the first to admit my office looks busy.

Note the use of the word "busy". Not "messy" or "cluttered" or "disorganized". Nope, the office looks "busy". That's pretty smooth.
Wink

Posts: 35 | Location: Williamson County, Texas | Registered: April 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've recently discovered one rather effective strategy for becoming neater--shrink the size of your office and desk space by about 75%. That way, in order to have any space to work, you're forced put things away as you move from one task to another. If you don't mind trading your "busy" office for a tidy closet then this is the strategy for you!

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, Texas (Travis County) | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Academics take the prize for messiest office; no matter how distinguished they are (maybe directly correlated with being distinguished). Here is Cass Sunstein's office:

Posts: 55 | Location: College Station, TX, USA | Registered: January 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That guy must be really busy! I'm busy, too, but not as much as him. And I know where most everything is, except in that pile of "I might read this some day."
Signed,
The Pot

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed! How did you get a photograph in there?

And who is Cass Sunstein? He must be a very busy man. (How does he get in and out?) Razz

[This message was edited by JK McCown on 05-21-03 at .]

posted Hide Post
Just right click your mouse over a photo. Hit properties. Then copy the link. Go to where you're going to post here. Hit the image icon below the place to post messages. Paste your link there. Hit ok and voila, the image like this will appear in your post:

Cass Sunstein is a law professor at the University of Chicago. Brilliant man but what a messy office! He claims his home is neat though.

You can do it for logos as well:

Posts: 55 | Location: College Station, TX, USA | Registered: January 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here goes:

Nothing. When I figure out your e-mail address I'll write for futher directions. I got lost after finding properties at "copy the link".

Jana