TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Probation eligibility
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probation eligibility Login/Join 
posted
To be clear.
1. Defendant commits offense A in one Jurisdiction and Offense B in another jurisdiction almost contemporaneously.

2. Defendant gets arrested for A confesses and is sent to prison.

3. Offense B gets filed while defendant is in prison.

4. Defendant discharges prison sentence

5. Defendant wants trial and is now applying for probation on offense B because he was not convicted of A prior to committing B.

Question is does previously convicted mean prior to the offense or prior to the trial. I think it is prior to the trial but I can't find any case law on point.

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I don't know how to create links on here. But this question has come up before and was discussed. No definitive answer, but good arguments for you to use.

Search for Friday Can't think straight question posted by
SAProsecutor on March 27, 2009 15:44

This message has been edited. Last edited by: e sainz,

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yazdchi v. State, 428 S.W.3d 831, 841 (Tex.Crim.App. 2014) is also helpful: "the provision that requires that his prior conviction be made known to the judge would necessarily have to come into play at the point at which he files his motion to seek jury-recommended community supervision."

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a person pleads guilty and receives a felony conviction pursuant to a plea bargain and on the following day is tried and convicted by a jury on a different felony, he remains eligible for community supervision from that jury because the time for an appeal of the prior conviction had not yet expired and thus was not “final.” See Milburn v. State, 201 S.W.3d 749 (Tex.Crim.App.2006)

Posts: 42 | Location: Decatur, TX | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post