TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Blanket consent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blanket consent Login/Join 
posted
Here is a note I just received from one of your Sheriff's Office Investigators...anybody got any ideas on this "blanket consent?"

There is a house in the City of Brookshire that is owned /lived in by a little old lady. This house is currently being used for prostitution and drugs and sits just north of the new Boys & Girls Club. I believe that I can get consent to enter the residence. What I would like to do is to write up a blanket consent to search and have her sign it, which I believe can be done, giving me consent to enter the residence at anytime.

I would like to get your opinion on this and your assistance in writing the consent to search. The consent would consist of my cell phone number so consenter could withdraw at anytime. I�m not talking about storming the house, just entering it when one would believe a crime (Dealing/Prostitution) is taking place. I have been by this residence numerous times observing the prostitutes walking from this residence.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The possibilities on this one are endless -

However, will attempt to make use of that better part of valor, and leave the humor to those from whom it is expected...

Wink

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best way to handle this would be to just have her give power of attorney to the SO allowing them to search the premises. If the SO doesn't have standard forms for this, any local PD should since it's very commonly used to issue warnings or arrest for criminal trespass without having to track down the owner of the property each time.

But what are these people doing in her house? Are they renting the space? If so you need to check the lease just to be sure the owner has full authority to consent to the search.

Posts: 106 | Location: Galveston, Tx. | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post