TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    When is a child "unavailable?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is a child "unavailable?" Login/Join 
posted
I just (20 mins ago)passed my child victim in a continuous sexual abuse case to the defense for cross. She had a meltdown, and was unable to return to the stand (this was after one previous melt down and a break). Defense was unable to ask her ANY questions.

Can we declare her unavailable?

Posts: 16 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas 78413 | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a break (a day if needed). Calm the child. Return her to the stand for cross.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the defense attorney? We had one case where the prosecutor let the defense attorney meet with the child outside the courtroom and just visit about nonthreatening topics. The prosecutor or investigator was there the entire time but they just walked around the courthouse and chatted. I THINK the caselaw says they have to at least answer something on cross but I am not sure of that. You have probably thought of this as well but try a security item or person. I know i've read one case where a small child testified sitting in her dad's lap. Tell them they can turn around backwards in the chair if they need to. If she indicates that it is fear of the defendant and not the defense attorney, try for closed circuit. hope this helps.

Posts: 55 | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what happened kgonzalez?

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post