TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    illegal knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

illegal knives Login/Join 
posted
Listed in 46.01--definition of illegal knife is a bowie knife. What is that? I have a bad guy with knife described as a double bladed knife--does that fit any of the descriptions (designed to cut/stab by being thrown or dagger or bowie knife?) I don't know the length or this would be an easier situation.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, this is mostly just to show my ignorance. But, a Bowie Knife is a very large knife, (think of a sheath hunting knife on steroids) attributed to James Bowie (from Opelousas, La.). Bowie died defending the Alamo.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double Bladed or a Double Edged Blade? A double edged blade will likely be a dagger.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The version most commonly known as the historical Bowie knife would usually have a blade of at least 6 inches (15 cm) in length, some reaching 12 inches (30 cm) or more, with a relatively broad blade that was an inch and a half to two inches wide (4 to 5 cm) and made of steel usually between 3/16 to 1/4 in (4.763 to 6.350 mm) thick. The back of the blade sometimes had a strip of soft metal (normally brass or copper) inlaid which some believe was intended to catch an opponent's blade while others hold it was intended to provide support and absorb shock to help prevent breaking of poor quality steel or poorly heat treated blades. Bowie knives also often had an upper guard that bent forward at an angle (S-guard) intended to catch an opponent's blade or provide protection to the owner's hand during parries and corps-a-corps.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clipped point was always what I thought identified a bowie knife, but I admit my knowledge is sadly deficient.

[This message was edited by JohnR on 08-27-09 at .]

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the term isn't defined, I'm of the opinion that the term "dagger" is meant to include a knife which is sharp on both the top and bottom part of the blade- i.e. "double edged." A quick wikipedia search seems to back that up.

I filed a case recently under the unlawful carrying statute recently in which the knife was double edged, but in my case it was also about 6.5 inches in length as well. I would personally classify yours as a "dagger."

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers. I have tracked down the actual knife, which is basically a 3 inch pocket knife that won't fit any of our descriptions. But, wow, you guys will never get me to sit at a trivial pursuit board with you.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post