TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    County sheriff jurisdiction in national forest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County sheriff jurisdiction in national forest Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know of any authority I can cite for the proposition that a county sheriff (ie. or deputy) can enforce Texas state law in the national forest (which is therefore federal land)? It seems like a no-brainer, but I would like to forestall any defense along this line. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 10 | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding based on some research is that it depends on the agreement between Texas and the federal government. In some transfers of property for military bases or national parks, the cession agreement will specify whether or not the state returns certain jurisdiction over Texas criminal offenses, taxes, etc. You would probably need to look at the agreement between the State and the Federal Government that established the national forest to determine if the deputy sheriff had jurisdiction to enforce Texas criminal laws in the national forest.

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Gov Code 2204.103. If the defense raises an issue ask them to get you a copy of the "deed of cession."

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. That is very helpful. Any idea where a "deed of cession" may be found, ordinarily? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posts: 10 | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Any idea where a "deed of cession" may be found, ordinarily?"

County Clerk's deed records.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post