TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Understanding what CCP Section 44.18 says
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Understanding what CCP Section 44.18 says Login/Join 
posted
1) Once a case is appealed from JP Court to County Court, how does it get to County Clerk?
2) Does JP send it directly to clerk?
3) Does JP send it to prosecutor's office for review to see if good case to file?
4) Do ya'll do a complaint to file the case since usually just tickets are in the JP files?
5) Anyone have a JP complain about the appeal process?
With the exception of one JP, cases here are sent to me to see if I want to file them. If so we do a complaint and file it and original JP papers with the County Clerk. If it's been 12.45ed into a higher offense, a cruddy case etc.. we just reject it like a bad class B or A.
6) Any ideas because one JP is having a fit that cases aren't immediately filed with the County Clerk?

Posts: 5 | Location: Llano,Tx,US | Registered: April 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are directly filed by the lower court with the County Clerk; they do not come to our office first, but a copy is sent to us by the clerk. If there is no complaint in the file, I check to see if the defendant complained about that in the lower court. If not, and if it was a no contest or guilty plea, they have waived their complaint as to that issue and you can proceed on just the ticket (CCP Art. 44.181).

Also check the appeal bonds and make sure they comply with the statute and are timely. We have disposed of a lot of traffic appeals on bond issues alone!

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you then file an information with the county court, or is one not needed on an appealed ticket?

Posts: 58 | Registered: August 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is now my understanding that you do need to file a complaint on appealed tickets where a complaint was not filed at the municipal or county level. A ticket alone does not toll the statute of limitations.

Posts: 58 | Registered: August 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post