TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Improper Jury Argument by the State
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improper Jury Argument by the State Login/Join 
posted
So an appellate attorney is complaining about a few of my comments during final argument. (Probably cause the defendant got a 90 year sentence. Please, if I had said what I really wanted to, THEN it would have been improper, but he would have gotten LIFE!!!)The only cases I can find deal with "jury argument" and in my case, it was a bench punishment trial. Anyone know of any cases dealing with proper and improper "judge argument"? Otherwise, I will have to assume the rules are the same and go from there.

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless it is of constitutional magnitude, no objection (or no ruling) = waiver. And remember that Judges are "presumed" to ignore inadmissible evidence and/or argument.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, defense counsel objected and judge overruled

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kennedy v. State, 262 S.W.3d 454, 461 (Tex. App.--Austin 2008) (treating bench trial and jury argument same for sake of argument), rev'd on other grounds, 297 S.W.3d 338 (Tex. Crim. App. 2009).

More recent: Stroble v. State, 2011 WL 1631812 (Tex. App.--14th dist, April 28, 2011)

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N,

email the complained of comments to me and I'll look at them.

G

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post