TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Cell phone Security
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone Security Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone encountered a cell phone that required a thumb print to access the contents of the phone? How did you gain access? Thank you for your help!

Posts: 18 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge this can only be bypassed by going through the Secret Service, who will send it to Apple, who will get to it somewhere around the 47th of Never. How does the 47th of Never work for you? You can ask, but I'd start with the SS, and not hold my breath.

You'll have a faster answer by going through all layers of the appellate court seeking a ruling that the thumbprint isn't testimonial and could be compelled by search warrant or other court order.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people are interested in this topic. I followed up with Julie earlier, but after visiting with people much smarter than me, the suggestion is that if the defendant won't consent to open the phone, you should get a warrant to search the phone, and a court order to compel the defendant to open the phone by touching the screen. Because taking fingerprints is not a search, you shouldn't need a warrant for that part.

I wonder if some day in the future we will laugh that this was ever an issue for us... you know... when we're trying to figure out how to subpoena the data stored on the Facebook neurological implant chip we will have all signed up for.

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post