TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    PI Citations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PI Citations Login/Join 
posted
A recent question has risen in my department and I have been tasked with finding the answer. ( I am having a difficult time getting an answer from my local county prosecutors. So I thought I would post here and see what the consensus was.)

The issue stems from two sections of Texas CCP, Art. 14.031. Public Intoxication and Art. 14.06. Must Take Offender Before Magistrate.

Art. 14.031 states that in lieu of arresting a person for public intoxication, the actor may be released as long as certain requirements are met.

Art. 14.06 states a peace officer who is charging a person with a Class C misdemeanor, may issue a citation for any offense, other than an offense under Section 49.02 (public intoxication), of the Penal Code.

The question that has risen is whether we, as peace officers, are allowed under law to issue a public intoxication citation to an actor and then release that actor to a third party who is willing to take responsibility for them.

I had once worked at a department that forbids the writing of a citation for Public Intoxication. The only options we had were either to bring the person before a Magistrate or release them to a person who was willing to take responsibility.

What do you think?

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We got a similar question from the opposite perspective last month from someone else in the Metroplex area. I'm not sure what's going on with drunks up there, but here's what I sent to them:

quote:
I think a literal reading of 14.06 leads to the conclusion that all PI suspects must be arrested, but only if you ignore 14.031. Reading the two together, I think an officer does not have to arrest a person for PI if the officer thinks CCP Art. 14.031(a) applies, in which case he can issue a citation and release the PI suspect under those conditions.

The purpose of 14.031 is to allow the release of a drunk in a way that address the liability concerns raised by the nature of the offense (see subsection (d)). Subsection (a) allows an officer to release (pre-arrest), and subsection (b) allows a magistrate to release post-arrest. I am reading that "pre-arrest" phrase into the statute because the statute only makes sense that way. I know that 14.031(a) only says "release," not "issue a citation and release," but I think 14.031(a) and 14.06(b) are supposed to work together. If the law required an arrest for every PI case, then (a) makes no sense.

I guess the other options is that the officer could not make an arrest or issue a citation, release the person under 14.031(a), and then write up a report and refer the case to the local prosecutor for a charging decision, which (if filed) would require the issuance of a summons or warrant for the defendant to appear in muni/JP court at a later date, but that seems way more time-consuming and inefficient than a citation. And the bottom line is, what suspect going to complain about being released on a citation instead of being arrested???

This is just my two cents.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post