TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Can you name the constitutional right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you name the constitutional right? Login/Join 
posted
A Florida judge has deemed unconstitutional a law banning baggy pants that show off the wearer's underwear, local media reported Tuesday.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the right to show your underwear is one of those penumbra rights...

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be the "Right to Bare"

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaW:
I guess the right to show your underwear is one of those penumbra rights...

I don't know about you, but I don't want to see anyone's penumbra because of their sagging, baggy pants.

My absolute lack of understanding of baggy pants on men and the low riding pants on women is a sure sign that I am now old.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 09-17-08 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand totally, Greg! We came from the generation where you would have been mortified if someone HAD seen your underwear. ("I see London, I see France, I see someone's underpants!")

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that judge wanted the saggy-pants voters in his corner at the next election.

Is there some First Amendment protection here, seeing as how the person is "expressing" something, fashion-wise? The next thing you know, they will be outlawing nipple-piercing and bad hats.

Which reminds me of that movie Fear of a Black Hat. Now there is a funny movie.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
I'm guessing that judge wanted the saggy-pants voters in his corner at the next election.

Is there some First Amendment protection here, seeing as how the person is "expressing" something, fashion-wise? The next thing you know, they will be outlawing nipple-piercing and bad hats.

Which reminds me of that movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106880/quotes. Now there is a funny movie.

Well, you're assuming that the baggy pants crowd is interested in voting.

Secondly, you are only the second person I have met in my life who thought that Fear of a Black Hat was funny.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness as basic human rights claimed in our Declaration of Independence.

Supported by the 9th Amendment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not 
be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. 

So my position is that "Fashion Police" is a role for sorority girls, not the government.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how this judge feels about dress codes in his courtroom?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dooney Da Priest's "Pull Your Pants Up":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12UciT0TUYE

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some judges see rights in the constitution that are not mentioned at all, like baggy pants, yet fail to see rights that are explicitly mentioned, such as the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Oftentimes, it is the same judge!

Non-lawyers must be truly amazed and impressed by the adeptness of some judicial minds. Fortunately, it all makes sense to us legal beagles, right?

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about my constitutional right not to be exposed to butt cracks and tacky tatoos?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
What about my constitutional right not to be exposed to butt cracks and tacky tatoos?

or thongs, on women who clearly have no business exhibiting their thong underwear.

posted Hide Post
I've threatened for years to show up at the swimming pool in a pair of Speedos if my kids didn't work a little harder at practice...not a pretty sight...no fabric sagging there...now that would have been a violation...the threat worked pretty well...

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
quote:
That would be the "Right to Bare"

That would be bare arms, not bare bottoms. Or was that the right to arm bears....? I'm so confused when it comes to the Constitution. I read it over and over and still don't see half the junk the Supremes see (or imagine they see). Must one be intoxicated or lobotomized to interpret it correctly? Isn't a penumbra that thing the bartender sticks in a frozen daquiri?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That movie was awesome. I loved the scene with Tasty Taste showing off his weapons collection.

Tasty Taste: This is a bazooka, see? And you just pick this up like this. It's-it's-it's-it's kind of heavy. But I figured if I couldn't pick it up, I need to have it.
Nina Blackburn: Why would you need a bazooka?
Tasty Taste: Well, sometimes you gotta take out stuff like a bus or a building, or a *bunch* of m_f_kas.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...or thongs, on women who clearly have no business exhibiting their thong underwear...

Or thongs, on MEN who clearly have no business exhibiting their thong underwear.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Correct, G.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Secondly, you are only the second person I have met in my life who thought that Fear of a Black Hat was funny.

FYM

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok Dan, help me out here. An online dictionary says the following stand for FYM:

Acronym Definition
FYM Farmyard Manure
FYM Fayyum (Egyptian autombile license plate)
FYM For Your Misinformation
FYM Free Your Mind