TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Unauthorized Use or Theft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unauthorized Use or Theft Login/Join 
posted
Defendant borrows victim's truck. Next morning victim's truck is not back. Victim asks defendant, who says, "I brought it back and left the keys in your house. Your wife must have taken it to work." Truck is found in possession of another, who tells officers he bought truck from Defendant. Has a witness to the transaction.

Theft or unauthorized use?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote theft.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that selling it to someone definitely shows intent to permanently deprive, not just use it, so I'd go with theft too.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theft. How was the victim ever going to get it back? The transfer to a third party, under color of legitimate sale, goes far beyond "oops, I forgot to tell you that I borrowed it..." If the transfer of the truck to the buyer was for anything approaching value, I don't think there's a question about intent to deprive.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I was leaning towards theft, and found that UUMV is a lesser included (at least in some cases).

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also depends on the value of the truck. If it is worth under $1,500, then go with UUMV.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with theft, simply due to the consent "borrowing" issue that he allowed the guy to drive his car, but not sell it.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1700 blue book value for a similar vehicle in fair condition.

posted Hide Post
I've got a juvenile defendant who ran off with Mom's car in a suicide attempt. He took the car, called her on the phone and told her to look outside. The car was gone. He then used in a suicide attempt a short time later.

The kid has a fairly extensive history (most of it involving mom, though all of them are misdemeanors)and needs to placed outside the home.

The car is brand new 2011 Toyota Camry (purchase in April 2011, taken by defendant last week). Purchase price was slightly under $29,000--F3 level, which is what I would like to file. However, the lower charge UUMV seems to fit better.

Posts: 26 | Location: Seguin, Texas | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a uumv.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post