TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Four day workweek
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four day workweek Login/Join 
posted

Question:
If you had the choice, how many would opt for a four day work week?

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 07-14-08 at .]

Choices:
Yes, I'd take a four day work week
No, I like working five days a week
Five days of work but "you're like Jimmy Buffett on Fridays", which is essentially, a four day work week

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see an option for working five days a week, but with one of those days being a mandatory fishing/golfing/playing music and generally pretending to be Jimmy Buffett day. As Jimmy so poignantly said in "The People Our Parents Warned Us About":

'Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf.

Our county considered a 4X10 but dropped it based on the argument that it wouldn't really save us much on utilities, and the employees would probably burn as much or more gas toodling about town on their new day off.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thirty eight votes, overwhelmingly in favor of four day work weeks, one post overwhelmingly in favor of "being like Jimminy Buffett", with a total of 233 views of the post.

I think there is a clear mandate from the American people here.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or you could be like me...teach anywhere from 2-4 days a week, have a month off at Christmas, have a full PAID week at Spring Break... summer vacations... ahh, the luxuries of an academic calendar! Smile

Did you think I'd forgotten about you guys? Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you transfer from the great metropolis of Waxahachie?

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I added the "you're like Jimmy Buffett on Fridays" to quiet Mr. Brumley, who is in fact the closest persona to Buffett that I know, down to and including his guitar noodling and vocalizing.

But I should mention that, imho, those "Buffett" votes are basically a vote for a four day work week, since no governmental agency would pay their employees to live like Jimmy Buffett one day a week.

posted Hide Post
I know I am hijacking the thread, but I have persuaded some of my elected DA friends to go see Buffett with me in Vegas in October. Does anyone know the DA in Las Vegas? Just in case, you know, some of my friends need to visit with him.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
COCOA, Florida (CNN) -- Ask just about any college student and they'll tell you they'd jump through hoops to avoid taking a class that meets on Fridays.

Brevard Community College used $267,000 in energy savings to add 10 new full-time faculty positions.

So, it was welcome news to students when Brevard Community College in Cocoa, Florida, decided to experiment with a four-day work week. A year ago as energy costs headed up and the school faced cuts in state funding, college president James Drake, who drives a hybrid, decided to give the shortened work week a try.

It worked out better than anyone could have imagined, Drake says.

"If it weren't for the savings that we have netted from energy management and the four-day work week, we would not have been able to do several of the vital things that are going to help us attract and retain even more students," says Drake.

Brevard Community College began the four-day work week during the 2007 summer session. The following fall and spring they added a half-day but then went back to the four-day work week again this summer.

Over that year-long period, by closing on Fridays and turning down the air conditioning and heating systems -- the college saved $267,000 in energy costs. The savings allowed Brevard to hire 10 new full-time faculty members.

See complete story...
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/08/12/shorter.workweek/index.html