TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Parole Instruction - need quick answer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parole Instruction - need quick answer Login/Join 
posted
One of our lawyers is in a charge conference at the moment and the judge thinks that a recent case held that the 37.07(4)(c) parole instruction (the 1/4 time one) should not be included in the charge anymore. I certainly don't remember anything like that, and think I would if it had happened. I've looked on westlaw and found nothing.
All of you appellate gurus who follow recent caselaw closer than I do, is there any opinion out there of that nature?

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen/heard no such thing. I've put it in 6 jury charges this year. My co-counsel had it in two just this week.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THis is from a January 2007 Dallas case:

"In his first issue in the theft case, appellant contends the trial court erred in omitting from the jury charge a portion of the mandatory jury instruction regarding the effect of parole. See Tex.Code Crim. Proc. Ann. Art. 37.07, � 4(c) (Vernon 2006). The parole instruction is mandatory and failure to include it in the court's charge is error. See Luquis v. State, 72 S.W.3d 355, 363 (Tex.Crim.App.2002)."

Not a published opinion, but it's the most recent appellate court opinion I could find reiterating this point. I've not heard of anything to the contrary.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wes.
Guess I should have walked down the hall...

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree that it is still mandatory.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the Cosntitution was amended to provide for this type of instruction it seems unlikely any court will be able to rule that it not be given.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post