TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Parole Changes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parole Changes Login/Join 
posted
For those of you who lived through the reforms of 1993 (preceded by inmates serving one month per year on their sentences), you should be concerned about the reform of 2003. The Parole Board has been reduced from 18 to 7 members. Only one appointed board member is required to be on a panel of three people deciding release. The other two could be "commissioners."

In addition, the protections for keeping serious sex offenders and capital murderers in prison for their entire sentences are gone. No longer must 12 of 18 vote for their release. Now it only takes 5 of 7.

Does anyone care?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although the changes concern me as they impact all areas, I am especially bothered by the reduction in the number of members reviewing death penalty cases. There was a substantial level of safety in 18 members reviewing death cases. The value of each vote has now risen significantly. We need to be extra vigilant regarding petitions for clemency.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John (Stride) you are so right. Last Spring my Judge allowed a parole board member to testify in a capital case that it takes a super majority (12-6) of the board to parole a defendant convicted of cap murder and sentenced to life. My objection was relevance and 403 for just this reason....the jurors could in no way rely on the parole law being the same in forty years as it was on that day.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great example. The same thing can be said of Life Without Parole. It is a sham to say that today's laws provide a promise as to tomorrow's prisoners.

Did you let your judge know about the change?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely I let her know. I argued the same proposition to the jury. They made sure he will never see a parole board.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post