TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Theft and 404b Notice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theft and 404b Notice Login/Join 
posted
Defendant committed theft pursuant to scheme and continuing course of conduct over a period of several years. We have alleged in the indictment the names of 5 victims of the thefts. There were, however, 10 different victims.

Under 31.03(c)(1)- We get to introduce evidence of the other thefts because they show knowledge or intent.

Do we have to provide a 404B notice for those other crimes, or is it trumped by 31.03(c)?

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually try to disclose under all circumstances. For example, stating that this information will be sought to be admitted under 31.03(C)(1) but ALTERNATIVELY the State will seek to admit under 404(b).

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Greg. I like to put everything in the 4.04B notice. More than one attorney has told me that the defendant changed their mind and accepted the plea after looking at my work.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While 31.03 makes those other transactions admissible, 404 still requires that you give notice that you intend to introduce them, which is two different things. In other words, the defense might concede that the extraneous offenses are admissible under 31.03, but still object that you failed to provide the required notice of intent to introduce them. You will be much better off including them in a 404 notice if you still have time.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post