TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Doesn't it make you proud...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doesn't it make you proud... Login/Join 
posted
Doesn't it make you proud as hell as a prosecutor when you read or hear part of an excellent opening statement:

"This is no accident we're looking at, prosecutor Jane Starnes told a Williamson County jury during opening arguments. This baby was beaten to death. Make no mistake about it."

read the rest here

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, no one responded, but I for one like a very strong opening statement.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Greg. I like strong openings too. Jane certainly made it clear to the jury the kind of case and the kind of person she is trying.

I hadn't commented because I was doing my small part to help her out with it.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my friend, I enjoy a really well done opening that makes you hear something like the theme to "Patton" in your head. But when I try to think of the best one I've ever heard, I keep coming back to this excerpt:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here isn't whether we took a few liberties with our female party guests. We did. [wink]"

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jury found defendant guilty of murder. Punishment hearing begins today.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life in prison after 20 minutes of deliberations. Good to see a jury value the life of an innocent baby.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Jane! That is a great result!

Posts: 29 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: May 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likewise, congrats to Jane and the office. I can't say I am surprised at the excellent result!

posted Hide Post
And I can't believe no one has suggested "Everything he just said is bulls***" as a stirring opening statement.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, nobody used that one because it is a defense opening statement.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ:

Then how about throwing in a last line that goes something like:

"And perhaps most importantly, folks, I ask you to remember that everything that guy is about to tell you is bull****"

I, mean, a little honesty never hurt anybody right? Wink

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'd still go with Jane's original opening, as opposed to upsetting the judge.

We're the rule followers, not the rule breakers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ:

Can't get nothing by you, JJ. Wink

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'll consider using that one at my next oral argument, since we go second there. Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to let us know when your next argument is, Andrea, so we can all attend.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on your verdict. JB, thank you for your help on our jury charge issue during our capital murder trial that occurred the week before.
Jury found the defendant guilty of capital murder after about 2 hours of deliberations. Our victim was 6 months old and had numerous head injuries both old & new. ME testified he had seen very few brain injuries as bad as the one our victim suffered. What did your jury say about why they went with murder? The only facts I know are the ones from the Statesman.

Thanks again for your help.

Posts: 9 | Location: San Marcos, Texas | Registered: January 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The murder theory was a felony murder: committing an act clearly dangerous (some sort of blow to head of infant) during aggravated assault. Beats me why they couldn't also get to capital murder (knowingly causing death of child). Sometimes, I think it is simply that they don't want to believe that anyone could do such a horrible act. And, without a detailed confession or eyewitness, they don't want to infer it from the injury.

That makes it all the more remarkable you got your verdict. Congratulations.

In our case, the defense seemed to try and blame mom, who was also present. But, Dad made the incriminating statements. Mom goes on trial next for injury by omission.

posted Hide Post
We were very happy with the jury's decision. The defense will argue on appeal, as they did in closing, that he didn't intend to kill the baby. They also tried to place blame on mom. Her part is under investigation & I can't comment.
Our defendant gave about a 6 hour interview with police and gave numerous accounts, even went so far as to stage a car wreck. There were lesser included of murder, etc and all levels of injury to a child. The jury was very clear when we spoke with them afterward that they believed he knowingly & intentionally killed the baby.

Posts: 9 | Location: San Marcos, Texas | Registered: January 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an article on the Hays County case, click here.