TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Budget cuts in your office?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget cuts in your office? Login/Join 
posted
"We all feed from the same public trough," [Dallas County] Commissioner John Wiley Price said. "And everyone will have to give at the altar."

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
County Commissioner Mike Cantrell suggested that Watkins begin his cost cutting by eliminating one of the three prosecutors from each of the felony courts. Those who remain, he said, can manage the jail population "the same as we're doing right now."

Right, because two people can always do the exact same amount of work as three. I don't know why we didn't think of that first.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for the justice system to go on strike. See how the commissioners like that.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried to track how the disparate counties around the state are faring economically, but word in our little county is that we already have lost about $200,000 in investment income alone. For big counties, that's chicken feed. For our county, it's a one percent tax increase. While the legislature may be reveling in stimulus money, I fear budget is going to be a Herculean ordeal here.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Denton County is feeling it too, but it could be so much worse. Commissioners have announced no new positions and no raises. No cuts yet.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our county judge is snooping around looking for "surplus" positions.

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gretchen:
Time for the justice system to go on strike. See how the commissioners like that.

I read a funny book about a British businessman in France and he commented that going on strike was a national passtime. Whether or not the workers ever got their demands met was not really explored!

It did make me think, though....I am impressed with the common man making his voice heard (sort of like why I like the jury system). I wonder what exactly would have to happen in America for middle class America to make a big statement with non-violent action, like a strike or sit-in or something. For example, China makes dangerous toys and dog food, etc., what if a huge number of people (like millions of Wal-Mart shoppers) refused products from China. I tried to boycott Wal-Mart once after watching a documentary about their sweat shops, and it lasted all of about 3 months before I gave up for the convenience factor. Sad, but I am definitely in the majority there.

I feel sure, judging by how many calls we get for help from any sector of public government, a prosecutor strike would be catastrophic--much more of an impact than Wal-Mart felt from my 3 month demonstration!

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Across the board cuts, are the budgetary refuge of cowards and fools. They are politically correct but so was cheering for the Emperor's new clothes.

It is one thing for governmental leaders to insist and insure that their charges are not spending anymore than absolutely necessary to accomplish the mission of the organization; and, it is something entirely different to insist that all involved accomplish their tasks driving Yugos with two wheels....because that is all we can afford.

At some point our leaders have to prioritize and then make the hard calls. Some programs may have to end to insure that core functions survive. But why make things hard? There are still Yugos around, and they are cheap.

Posts: 44 | Location: Amarillo, Tx, USA | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our retirement system took a 29% hit. While that is much less than many systems around the nation (kudos for conservative investment management), the way TCDRS is set up, participating counties will have to compensate with additional funds. While counties will not have to pony up all at once, the numbers will be substantial for many counties.

While property taxes (our primary funding source) are fairly stable this year, the predictions are that collections will suffer next year--to what extent, not sure. Fine and fee collections are already taking a hit. Someone mentioned interest income, which is a problem for large and small counties.

Unfortunately, during hard economic times, the need for social services increases and crime is the job of choice for the desparate. Three hots and a cot starts looking pretty good.

Our work goes up as the economy (and typically the budget) goes down.

Posts: 39 | Location: Travis | Registered: May 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget cuts and increased difficulty in doing your job notwithstanding, you will NEVER gain public sympathy from your community's taxpayers. It would be interesting to see what would be the cost of an efficient prosecutor's office if that function were privatized.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe 'shared sacrifice' is the new PC buzz phrase.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post